Kevin Isserman: Eclectic Spirit with a Giraffe Soul

Major: Psychology, Family and Child Sciences

Year: Junior

Hometown: Pace, Florida (a small town outside of Pensacola)

Fun Fact: He’s a textbook Leo. *rawr*

Her Campus (HC): Where can we catch your pretty face on campus?

Kevin Isserman (KI): I’m involved in a research lab in the psychology department that focuses on eating behaviors and pathology, which has been a phenomenal experience. I currently serve as Alpha Phi Omega’s Dance Marathon representative and also work as a night staff employee. I live at the psych department and the Sandels building, so if you live on campus, you may just find me at one of the residence hall front desks!

HC: What do you look for in a romantic partner?

KI: Well I suppose the typical things, funny, intelligent, friendly, and cute. But he also has to be unique, a good conversationalist, someone who can offer a fresh perspective, adventurous, goal-oriented, and likes to have good time. Also beards and tattoos are a huge plus!

HC: What was the best date you’ve ever been on?

KI: I feel like dating culture has been slowly fading over the years, so I can’t quite say I’ve been on many actual dates that have been cliché and magical. However, a few years back I went on this date with this guy who took me to Destin, Florida. We went to an aquarium, an arcade, the park, and then the beach. It was super chill and fun, and he was a great person. I’ll honesty never forget it.

HC: On the flip side, what was your worst date?

KI: Now my worst experience was also a few years back. Back in Pensacola they have a Mardi Gras parade every year and so I had just recently met a guy and took him to the parade. Things were going swimmingly and we walked around and had some good conversation. Boy, was he a cutie. I thought things were going great. I took him home at the end of the night and we get to his friends place, where I was dropping him off, and he starts crying and talking about much his life sucks, etc. Under most circumstances I would have reacted more empathetically, but this was only the first time we went out and he made it VERY awkward.

HC: If you designed a t-shirt what would you put on it?

KI: If I designed a t-shirt it would HAVE to have a pocket on it! I am 100% all about pockets and the pocket would have a giraffe print design. The actual t-shirt would be light blue and there would be a small strip of giraffe print at the bottom of the sleeves as well. A simple yet unique design.

HC: What is your favorite thing to do in you free time?

KI: I really enjoy the outdoors scene of Tallahassee. Some of the best summer/spring days I’ve spent in Tally have been enjoying a day at the sinkholes or Wakulla Springs. Good friends and a few beers are all you need to have a good time. I also really love cooking and baking (yes, I am one of those people that always puts my food on Instagram).

HC: What would your depiction of having a good life be?

KI: The perfect life would be me traveling the world alone, with friends, or even with a significant other. All I want in life is to spend my days traveling to different counties, exploring, immersing myself in the culture, eating foreign foods, and learning about different societies.

HC: If you had a spirit animal, what would it be and why?

KI: [Giraffe] hands down. They are my all-time favorite animal. I identify with [giraffes] in a way. They are tall like I am (6’2” to be exact), and they are gentle yet know how to defend their territory (have you seen them attack another giraffe with their neck? Vicious!). Not to mention they are so cute and precious!

HC: What is one thing you can’t stand in a person?

KI: I dislike people who are excessively negative and self-deprecating. Negative energy is contagious and it brings other people down and I dislike having to coddle people continuously. Personally I’m a firm believer in “fake it till you make it” because in my experience even faking being happy and positive in the long run will cause you to feel those positive emotions on a more regular basis.

HC: What is a song that describes your life to a “T”?

KI: I’m not quite sure; I love music, and have an eclectic taste. I think many songs describe my life at different points. If I had to choose though, I would say Good Time by Owl City feat. Carly Rae Jepson. I try not to take life seriously, and oftentimes use humor to make light of all situations, even when it isn’t appropriate. Being too serious in my opinion is overrated, and while there is a time and a place to be serious, if we all just let loose a bit and do something crazy and uncharacteristic of our personalities, the results may surprise us!

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.