Keep Calm and Stop Stalking His Facebook Profile

A girl can drive herself crazy trying to decode how a guy feels nowadays. It can feel like a guy is totally into you one minute, but not the next. Because of this, we tend to over-analyze every little interaction, down to him liking your selfie on Instagram. To keep our sanity intact, it’s important to take a step back and not dwell on every little detail.

The following have all come out of my mouth over the past couple weeks:

•  “Wait, was he flirting?”

Sometimes it can be hard to tell if a guy is flirting with you, especially when you manage to find a nice guy. You don’t know if he’s complimenting you to get somewhere or if it’s because he really just thinks your music taste is great. Which one of those is better? I don’t want empty compliments, right? He should genuinely compliment me. I do want him to want something out of this though. Isn’t that the whole point of flirting? Let’s just say he was flirting.

•  “He liked my selfie. IT’S ON.”

You know what this means: he’s totally into you. “He liked your selfie and not some other girls’. But wait, he did just like your selfie, right? Does he like everyone’s selfies or just cute girls’? That would mean he thinks I’m cute, so that’s fine. But what if he liked multiple girls’ selfies? That’s so not cool. He’s totally playing me right now and trying to get with all of us. How could he do that?! Stop. Put your phone down. Just breathe. You’re psyching yourself out, and if he liked your selfie, it’s probably a good sign.”

•  “We kept making eye contact; it was great.”

Now this one doesn’t seem like it should be a big deal, but it is. Having a guy actually make eye contact – and not stare at your chest – throughout an entire conversation can single-handedly make you fall head over heels for him. It’s important we remind ourselves that making eye contact while having a conversation is expected at our age, but this means he’s probably a really good listener.

• “Umm, who’s that girl in his profile pic?”

Once you know a guy’s name, the stalking possibilities are endless. Facebook stalking is all fun and games until you stumble upon nine tagged photos from two months ago with the same girl in them. “Who is this girl? What’s their relationship history? Is she still relevant? Should I hate her for absolutely no reason? Oh wait, it’s actually just his sister. Oops.”

Ladies, we’ve all done at least some of these, if not all of them. It’s fine to try to figure out if a guy actually likes us or not, but don’t drive yourself crazy. We’re all guilty of over-analyzing guys, and we need to learn to dial it back. Sometimes the best thing to do is sign off of Facebook, go out with some of your girls, and vow to not talk about guys for the entire night.

Kayla Jewell is a senior Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University, minoring in Communications and Film Studies. She doesn't like to think about what happens after graduation. When she’s not doing schoolwork, Kayla spends her time stalking celebrities on the internet, taking naps, and going to concerts.
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."