Introducing Midtown Reader with Alexis Bondi

Small Business Saturday was last week, and in honor of that, I thought I’d showcase a local Tallahassee business. Midtown Reader is a bookstore and community gathering space owned by Sally Bradshaw. They have been a staple in not only the writing community but the greater Tallahassee community throughout the years. To learn more about this wonderful store, I talked to Alexis Bondi, an employee and social media manager who also goes to FSU.

Her Campus (HC): What is your position at Midtown reader?

Alexis Bondi (IAB):  I am a bookseller and social media manager.

HC: What drew you to working here? How long have you been working here?

AB: In January it’ll officially be my two years. I’ve always wanted to work in a bookstore because I love reading and writing. My senior year, the owner of Midtown Reader, Sally Bradshaw came to a career day at my high school. She gave a talk about her experiences opening up a bookstore in Tallahassee. I got to show her around, and she told me about a summer internship program that they had for college and high school students. I was an intern first, then an employee.

HC: Tell me about Midtown reader. Why is it special to the community?

AB: I’ve grown up in Tallahassee, and honestly, I can tell you I wish Midtown had been here the whole time I’ve been here. Not only do we help to grow and establish a better writing community by bringing in authors from all over, but we help put on readings and stay fully engaged in the Tally community. We try to signal boost and work with other local businesses and the fine arts community. Midtown Reader is a very warm and inviting atmosphere. Sally set up the store so that the people of Tallahassee could have a safe space to discuss and share opinions.

open books laid out
Photo by Patrick Tomasso from Unsplash

HC: So, how has it been running their social media?

AB: It’s been a growing experience for both me and Midtown Reader. In the last year that I have taken over, we’ve gained almost 1200 new followers. There is a certain pressure that comes with knowing all of my content is seen by everyone at the store; because it’s a locally owned business, the standard is much higher. The challenge of it has pushed me in a direction of growth. I’ve met a lot of cool and influential people in the writing community just by working here.

HC: How is social media used for the promotion of small businesses? How important is it?

AB: For locally owned businesses, word of mouth has always been and will always be most important for bringing in new customers. Social media is an extension of that word-of-mouth advertising. It has definitely been valuable to put content out and to have it be received by the tally literary and general communities. Our social media helps us establish an intimate connection with customers and grow that relationship that only small businesses have to offer.

HC: Why is small business Saturday so important to shopping locally?

AB: Locally owned businesses provide a lot of jobs for the community. They typically are better-paying jobs with a better work environment. It’s run by your neighbors—you’re supporting their dreams and their employees who are their neighbors too. You’re giving back to the community. For us, we can bring more authors in and keep our doors open. As COVID has affected a ton of local business and the community as a whole, Small Business Saturday is a way to bring us all back together. Midtown Reader has been fortunate because the Tally community has really stepped up and supported us.

HC: Finally, what do you want people to know about Midtown Reader?

AB: Midtown reader has been set up to welcome everyone. I truly believe there’s something in there for everyone whether it’s a notebook, puzzle or book. Any support you give us is seen and appreciated by real people. We’re always ready to help you with whatever you need. We genuinely work so hard, and we add a lot of value to the Tally community. Every repost and every purchase makes a difference.

To get involved with Midtown Reader, check out their website or follow them on Instagram @midtownreader! Happy reading!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Olivia is a junior currently double majoring in Creative Writing and Classical Civilizations. Netflix is her soulmate and she is a true master of puns and other bad dad jokes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.