Rah, rah-ah-ah-a

Roma, roma-ma

Gaga, ooh-la-la

Want your bad romance

We know Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, also known as Lady Gaga, as a popular pop-star American singer and songwriter, but her hidden acting talents shined both in A Star Is Born and most recently in House Of Gucci. House of Gucci is scheduled for a theatrical release on Nov. 24 via United Artists Releasing (the distribution arm of MGM). This movie is Gaga’s second-ever movie lead role directed by Ridley Scott, portraying one of the late 20th century’s most notorious criminal cases. 

In a recent interview with British Vogue, Lady Gaga said she used her House of Gucci accent for nine months straight as part of her training for the role. “It is three years since I started working on it,” she launches in on House of Gucci, “and I will be fully honest and transparent: I lived as her [Reggiani] for a year and a half. And I spoke with an accent for nine months of that.” Off-camera, too? “Off-camera,” she confirms, solemnly. “I never broke. I stayed with her.”

Gaga explained, “It was nearly impossible for me to speak in the accent as a blonde. I instantly had to dye my hair, and I started to live in a way whereby anything that I looked at, anything that I touched, I started to take notice of where and when I could see the money. I started to take photographs as well. I have no evidence that Patrizia was a photographer, but I thought as an exercise, and finding her interests in life, that I would become a photographer, so I took my point-and-shoot camera everywhere that I went. I noticed that Patrizia loved beautiful things. If something wasn’t beautiful, I deleted it,” she continued.

According to an Insider article, Gaga (who is of Italian-American descent) said that while working on the film, she often thought about her “ancestors in Italy, and what they had to do so that I could have a better life.” She added, “I just wanted to make them proud, which is why I made the decision to make the performance about a real woman and not about the idea of a bad woman.”

According to the trailer’s YouTube video description, “House of Gucci is inspired by the shocking true story of the family empire behind the Italian fashion house of Gucci. Spanning three decades of love, betrayal, decadence, revenge and ultimately murder, we see what a name means, what it’s worth, and how far a family will go for control.”

Controversy surely aroused as Gaga did not actually meet the real person behind her character Reggiani, who alleged in an interview that the actor never reached out. From Gaga’s point of view, meeting the real person behind the character would have impacted her ability to do “justice” to the role. “I approached it with the eye of a curious woman who was interested in possessing a journalistic spirit so that I could read between the lines of what was happening in the film’s scenes,” the actor explained. “Meaning that nobody was going to tell me who Patrizia Gucci was. Not even Patrizia Gucci.”

Indeed, over the course of filming, Gaga said she “became fascinated” with the character—and specifically the murder of her husband played by Adam Driver. 

Watch the House of Gucci official trailer on YouTube.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hanya is an Integrated Marketing Communication graduate student. She earned her Bachelor's degree in Advertising and minored in Entrepreneurship at Florida State University. She is an iced coffee type of gal, and you will always find her holding one. She binge watches Netflix, Tiktok, and random YouTube videos. She is passionate about everything advertising-related and is a media enthusiast.