Career > Her20s

I’m Graduating Early and I’m Terrified

It was never my intention to spend only three years in college. Rather, I always believed that I would graduate, walking hand in hand with my friends and my boyfriend. I had come into my freshman year with maybe thirty hours of coursework, thanks to some dual enrollment and AP classes in high school. I planned to double major even though I knew that I would only pursue one field after I graduated. Well, that’s what I thought I would do until I realized that I wanted to go to grad school. If I were to graduate early, I would save a lot of money that could be used in grad school. This seemed much more logical to me.

Although this was the logical thing to do, I couldn’t help but feel that graduating early would deprive me of some of the college experience. I am not one for parties, nor am I particularly school spirited, but graduating early would mean that I wouldn’t be able to do certain extracurriculars for long (like writing for this publication) or see my friends and boyfriend if I went to a different school. I’d be graduating with a bunch of people that I didn’t know. Leaving FSU after three years instead of four would put me on a different path from anyone that I know. Would I be able to make new friends at a different school if I was a 20 or 21-year-old grad student if people in my classes were older than me?

All of these fears were circling my mind, with no clear resolution. However, I realized that I had a decision to make. I could attend grad school at FSU or a different school. Attending grad school at FSU would allow me to be around my friends and my boyfriend for another year; although I still wouldn’t be able to partake in the extracurriculars that I would want to. It wouldn’t be as drastic of a change as attending grad school somewhere else. Even so, I wouldn’t have new experiences such as meeting completely new people, living in a new place, or working with different organizations. I would lack variety on my resume.

Unsplash/Jonathan Daniels

Courtesy:  Jonathan Daniels 

These pros and cons of staying at FSU didn’t resolve much for me. It was as if the more I thought about it the more fears I had. The idea of going somewhere new terrified me but staying here felt like I was depriving myself of new experiences. There wasn’t a correct answer. I still think about this and I still don’t know what I’ll do. What I do know is that I have another year to figure it out. That and, it won’t be entirely up to me unless I get into every school that I apply for. Mostly, I just need to enjoy the time that I have left of my undergraduate years.

Overall, this situation has allowed me to realize that I fear the unknown. Staying at FSU feels safe to me because I have ties here. If I were to attend graduate school somewhere else, I would be starting over. How am I supposed to know how things would be in a new place? What if I hated it? Or what if I loved it? The part of me that doesn’t fear the unknown wants to have something new happen. If I could predict the future I wouldn’t, because not knowing is kind of exciting once you get past the fear.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Emily is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications. In her free time, she enjoys singing, discovering new music, and tracking down the best coffee in Tallahassee. Find her on Instagram @emischutz.
Her Campus at Florida State University.