*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU

Who do you think of when you hear the word “legendary?” Harriet Tubman, the woman who lead so many slaves to freedom during one of the most troubling times in our country’s history? Robin Williams, TV icon and man who fought but ultimately lost his battle with depression?  Or maybe Barney Stinson, womanizer turned husband turned father? Either way, when we think of the word “legendary” we think of people who are goodhearted people who don’t put others in danger.

So why has this word been associated with Tara Monroe? Not sure who she is? Here’s a little reminder: the “girl from Texas drives Barbie Jeep to school.”

Courtesy: Instagram

Sound familiar? We’ve all seen this title. We have all heard about this “hilarious” girl who sticks it to the (police)man who suspended her license. For some reason, we have all dismissed a very important fact: the reason she has to drive this pink child’s toy is because she was arrested for drunk driving. Let me say that again: she was arrested for driving while intoxicated.

Is anyone laughing? This is a serious issue – not funny at all actually. Why is a girl who put her life and others in danger getting so much press? These articles calling her “legendary,” saying she’s “going down with style” and referring to her as just a “cute sorority girl” are making light of a somber situation. So, I ask you, students of Florida State University, is it just as funny when this situation happens to us?

Recently, there was a tragic car crash at the intersection of White Drive and Pensacola Street that killed 3 of our own. The car was turning onto White Drive when it was hit on the side by someone driving way too fast down Pensacola Street. While this information alone is enough for us to consider our driving methods (put down our cell phones, watch our speed) it has recently surfaced that alcohol is a suspected factor in the accident.

So I ask again, is it funny? Is it funny that those students’ parents had to be given that horrible phone call? Is it funny that the women of Zeta Tau Alpha have lost one of their sisters? Let me answer the question for you: no, it is not funny. It is an issue that should be considered with the utmost seriousness.

So why was Tara Monroe’s story treated differently? The only important part of Texas Barbie’s story is that her father, upon hearing the news of his daughter’s DWI, swiftly took away her vehicle and gave her a bike. Thank you, sir.

We at Florida State University are taken aback by this traumatic event. It has affected many students at our school. No one is laughing. No one thinks that this is funny. There was a vigil on September 9 for the three students who lost their lives at Westcott Fountain. Madison Social has recently posted on Instagram that Thursday, September 10 they donated a dollar for every person who took an Uber to or from the bar to the families affected. A fellow sorority sister, friend and our very own Social Media Director at Her Campus FSU of one of the students who passed is selling hats to commemorate her life. The link is here if you would like to buy one – all proceeds go to her family.

So everyone, please, I implore you to never, ever get behind the wheel when you have been drinking. Take the Night Nole (it’s an experience I highly recommend), have a DD, take an Uber or taxi. Although college students have treated Tara Monroe’s story as a joke, we in Tallahassee know that the repercussions of drunk driving are all too real. Drive safe. 

Writing is my passion. How I Met Your Mother is my favorite tv show (along with Gossip Girl, Modern Family, and American Horror Story). Travelling is an obsession, I am a victim of wanderlust. I worship the sunshine. Pasta is my go-to meal. Coffee is my drink of choice (or maybe a glass of Riesling).
Her Campus at Florida State University.