How To Travel the World Safely This Spring Break

The first anniversary of the COVID-19 pandemic has finally reared its ugly head. I’m sure most of you are receiving the Snapchat memories from last March when we were all unexpectedly required to cancel our Spring Break plans, shut down and shut in. This year’s Spring Break is coming around again as well, but with vaccine rollout just starting, we are not yet at the packed beaches and intense travel stage of the post-pandemic era. For now, we should continue to reduce travel and do the best that we can with having fun at home. If you have plans to stay home for Spring break, check out this list of ways to travel the world even behind your four walls.

Geoguessr

In this geographic discovery game, you have to find clues about the surrounding area from obscure and random photos and then drop a pin on the map. You win points based on how close your pin is to the actual location. This game is almost a glorified version of randomly going on Google street view to see what random things you can find. You’ll be surprised about what you see in pictures and how different things might look in other areas of the world.

City Walks

Solo Travel
Photo by Element 5 Digital from Pexels
Choose a location to get a first-person view as if you are truly walking on the streets of your selected city. You can “walk” by yourself, or do a scheduled group walk and chat with other users in real-time. You can choose to view during the day or night, or whether or not you’d like to see the view during COVID-19 or not (I like to view without COVID-19, just to remember what life was like without masks on all the time) and also if you’d like to hear the sounds of the city you’re in. Some cities I enjoy viewing while walking includes Athens, New York, Paris, Seoul and Tokyo.

Drive and Listen         

Maybe you like driving! A great alternative to “City Walks” is “Drive and Listen,” which is set up the same way, except it is first-person driving! One cool feature is being able to listen to real-time music from radio stations local to the area that you choose. The speed of the car can also be changed between 1x, 1.5x and 2x if you’re into fast driving. While listening to the radio, you can also choose if you would like to be able to hear the street noise outside of the car. I always love long drives and looking out of the window, so I much prefer this to City Walks. On this website, I typically “drive and listen” while in Seoul, Hawaii, Los Angeles, Miami and New York.

Also, make time to watch movies this Spring Break. Some of my favorite ones that have to do with traveling include Crazy Rich Asians (2018), Midnight in Paris (2011), The Cheetah Girls 2: When in Spain (2006), Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Up (2009) and Moana (2016). Lastly, maybe take some much-needed time away from the screen and make an old-fashioned travel vision board. This can be of all the places you’d like to visit/live in the future, or it can even be a way to reminisce places you’ve already been to!

I’m sure this isn’t necessarily the way any of us would like to spend our Spring Breaks, but it’s still a great way to imagine all the places you’ll go and all the things you’ll do once we are free from the shackles of our masks and can see the world again and everything it has to offer us.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Nyala Thomas earned her B.S. in Media/Communication Studies with a Film Studies minor and continues at FSU's College of Motion Picture Arts Master of Fine Arts Program. 90% of her time is spent creating, whether that be through making YouTube videos and short films, or writing up scripts!
Her Campus at Florida State University.