When packing up and heading to a new city, it’s easy to forget about all the sustainable practices you have in place. This spring break, try to go the extra step to give back to the planet. Here are some eco-friendly swaps and tips to make your sustainable journey easier!

Utilize Public Transport

Okay, so maybe it’s my weird obsession with airports and train stations, but there really is something to be said about using public transport. Sure, you feel like an independent girl boss, but it’s also way better for the environment. If you’re worried about being in a crowded area during these chaotic times, maybe public transport isn’t the best route, so try walking. Not only is it great exercise, but it’s the perfect way to see the city and explore small places you would have otherwise driven by.  If the sustainability aspect doesn’t sell you, think about how much money you’ll save! If your spring break destination doesn’t have good public transport, and the only marathons you run involve Netflix, use Lyft instead of Uber. Why? Lyft is carbon neutral and uses 100% Renewable Energy. Read all about the fantastic steps Lyft is taking here.

Shop Local

When it comes to souvenirs, try to shop locally. Not only are you supporting smaller businesses, but the amount of wasteful packaging used usually is substantially reduced. Plus, it’s that artisan vase you scored from the local market will probably hold more meaning than a t-shirt you bought in a corner store.

Bring Reusables

By now, you’re probably tired of hearing about bringing reusable bottles and bags. While those are still essential to sustainable living, don’t forget about your other reusables: cutlery, tuber ware and coffee cups. These simple switches will help to cut back on single-use plastics drastically. You can go out and purchase fancy zero-waste versions, but if you’re on a budget, just use what you already have or thrift them. It’s also more sustainable that way!

Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Pack Intentionally

Don’t just stop at bringing reusables, also try to limit the amount of plastic disposables when packing for your trip. Instead of planning to use small bottles of shampoo that your hotel offers, switch to a shampoo bar. You can also swap about toothpaste tubes for tabs, plastic toothbrushes for bamboo ones, and makeup wipes for reusable cotton rounds!

Offset Your Carbon Emission

If you’re flying somewhere for break, first make sure to carry hand sanitizer with you, but also consider going carbon neutral. Flying is often the biggest way that people contribute to their carbon footprint. On Climate Neutral you can calculate your carbon footprint and see how much you need to pay to offset it. The money that you pay goes to different climate projects worldwide!

So, whether your traveling to some exotic location or visiting family in the town over, make sure to consider these sustainable swaps!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Taylor is currently a junior at Florida State University with a double major in English Creative Writing and Studio Art. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her traveling, getting lost in a book, or working on her personal blog at a local coffee shop.
Her Campus at Florida State University.