Life > Experiences

How to Plan Your Best Friend’s 21st Birthday Waltz!

Turning 21 is a big deal in college, especially at Florida State. It’s the birthday where you fully feel like an adult. If you’re anything like me, you’ve been dreaming of your waltz since you stepped foot on campus. Going out on any night of the week in Tallahassee, you’re almost guaranteed to spot a girl with a huge sign hanging from her neck, surrounded by her best girlfriends. A waltz is expected to be one of the best nights at college for any girl. So, when it comes time to plan your best friend’s special night, you can begin to feel the pressure. After planning one of my best friend’s waltz, I have compiled the best step-by-step plan for those struggling on where to start!

STEP 1: THEME, THEME, THEME

Picking a theme is probably the most important step out of the whole process. Once you pick a theme, everything else will come together smoothly. The theme constitutes what the dress code is, how you will decorate, and what the sign your bestie has hanging around her neck will look like. Because it controls so many elements of the night it’s important to pick a theme that your bestie likes. Usually, the theme is decided between the two of you, but you shouldn’t be afraid to throw a surprise waltz. Considering you know your bestie more than most people; you can easily think of her likes and interests to help in picking a theme. Many people pick unique themes, but some like to stick to classic themes. Having trouble finding inspiration? Think of her favorite TV shows or movies, or maybe her favorite type of music. When I was planning my besties waltz this past week, we chose a jungle theme. We decided on this because my best friend loves animal print and liked the aesthetic of how we could decorate our apartment for the event. The possibilities of a theme are endless, but the most important aspect when deciding on one is having fun with it!

STEP 2: DECIDING WHAT KIND OF CELEBRATION IT WILL BE AND PICKING A LOCATION

The next step is to decide what kind of celebration your bestie would like to have and the location(s) of where the festivities will take place. If your best friend is more on the introverted side, then maybe you should opt for an intimate, small gathering at your apartment. If she likes to be surrounded by many people and loves loud music, then you should opt for a pregame at an apartment and taking her out. If you opt for the second choice, you also must consider what day her birthday falls on. This should be taken into consideration, due to what places are open or popular on that night. Living in Tallahassee, you quickly learn what places are the go-to on each day of the week. You also learn very quickly that there is always something to do every night. Here is a list of popular destinations for each night of the week:

Mondays: Clyde’s & Costello’s

Tuesdays: Recess

Wednesdays: The Strip

Thursdays: The Standard

Fridays: Potbelly’s

Saturdays: Baja’s

Sundays: Brunch, Bullwinkles, Township***

***Township, Madison Social, Bullwinkles are all places that require you to be 21+, consider these locations if everyone celebrating is at least 21 years old.

Courtesy: 850Area.com

STEP 3: MAKING THE SIGN!

The sign is the whole point of the waltz, making it is the most important element of the night. You might be wondering why it isn’t the first step if it’s that important. The sign is in a shape or a drawing of an object that relates to the theme. For example, if the theme is disco, then you might pick the sign to be a disco ball. When making the sign, it’s important to get in touch with your creative and crafty side. A popular method is hand drawing the sign and throwing glitter on it, but I have seen a rise in the sign being made digitally and then being printed out. I used this method when it came time to make my roomie’s sign. Once you have your image on the front, you need to think of the name of the waltz. For example, since my roommate’s waltz was jungle themed, we called it “Mackenzie’s untamed 21st!” Usually, the title of the waltz goes in the format of BEST FRIENDS NAME, ADJECTIVE, 21st. Now the front is ready to go, its time for the back of the sign. The back of the sign is important because it contains the list. The list consists of 21 tasks the birthday girl must do on her birthday. Therefore, you must pick the type of celebration and the location before making the sign. The tasks can range from tame to wild, it’s up to you to decide what tasks will make your bestie’s night special. For inspiration of what tasks to choose, Pinterest is helpful! Now you have the whole sign completed, the last thing is to get a boa to attach to it so it can hang from her neck.

STEP 4: DECORATING

Decorating the space nicely can elevate the celebration. Your best friend will love the time and effort you put into making the space special. Decorating is also important because it allows you to have places to take the most Instagram-worthy pictures! Considering this, there usually is a photo wall. When my other roommate and I were decorating for the birthday girl, we found fabric with tropical leaves on it and hung it on the wall. Then we bordered it with gold garland and topped it off with balloons spelling “HAPPY BDAY”. Having a photo wall will give the birthday girl the perfect Insta moment.

STEP 5: HAVE FUN AND FOUNTAIN TIME

The last step is to throw the waltz and invite those who are closest to the birthday girl. The whole point is to celebrate this momentous birthday with all your best friends. Having a good time is what its all about, but it’s also important to be safe! A birthday could be easily ruined if something were to happen to someone, whether it be the birthday girl or a guest. Once the night is almost over and the list is complete, it’s time for one of the most known about FSU traditions. The Westcott fountain sits beautifully at the very front of our school, but it has been the host of many students over the years. Being thrown into the fountain on your 21st is a rite of passage as a ‘Nole. This is a long-standing tradition that many students look forward to since their freshman year! Any given night, if you’re driving by the fountain, it’s likely you’ll see students partaking in this tradition.

Courtesy: hiveminer.com

Spending one of the most important birthdays of your life at Florida State is truly something special. Tallahassee serves as a perfect place to throw the celebration due to options of places to go to and participating in a long-standing tradition. Whether you keep it low-key or go all out, your best friend is guaranteed to have a special night!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Editing, Writing and Media major at FSU with a minor in business. Lover of plants, home decor, soccer, and thrifting!