How Lauren Jauregui Stood Up Against Trump

With recent events, many celebrities have started using their voices to take a stand against policies being put into place. 20-year-old, Lauren Jauregui is no different. This Fifth Harmony member has taken to social media to share an open letter to Trump about his controversial immigration ban which temporarily stops refugees from entering the United States.  Through her large following, the letter has gained a lot of attention and resulted in positive responses from a variety of audiences.

Lauren Jauregui starts her letter by writing, Raise your hand if you are an immigrant, or the sons and daughters of immigrant parents, or the grandchildren of immigrants, or the great-grandchildren, or great-great-grandchildren? Wait…are everyone’s hands up—including yours, Mr. Trump—except for the Indigenous people of the Americas?! Because they should be.” She continues by explaining the history around the Spanish conquistadors and the Indigenous people while expressing her feelings around the significance of the word refugee; something that affects her and her family personally.

She ends her letter with the strong statement, “My young people who understand and did not choose this for their future, the older generation who blindly chose to take this comfortable future we all envisioned away: We have never known war, we have never known the pain of discomfort, we have been privileged and promised into our moral oblivion.”

This isn’t the first-time Lauren Jauregui has used her voice and powerful words to share a message. Late last year, she came out as bisexual in a letter directed towards Trump and his followers titled, ‘I Am a Bisexual Cuban-American Woman & I Am So Proud of It.” In this letter, she talks about how proud she is to be able to express herself as a Hispanic, bisexual woman despite any preconceived notions. She also pleads Trump supporters to take into consideration the different consequences that can come from falling into biased ideas.

Courtesy: Instagram

Lauren Jauregui isn’t just stopping with writing letters. This January, she took part in the Women’s March in Washington and told Nylon, “I’m marching for women, I’m marching for the LGBT community, I’m marching for immigrants. I happen to fall into all three categories, so I’m marching for myself at the end of the day and for my family and my friends. And for whoever else deserves it.”

As a young adult granted with many talents, Lauren Jauregui refuses to stay quiet and has started dedicating her social media pages to sharing her opinion in hopes of creating a positive change. Through her words and actions, she is a great inspiration to others and an example that words can have a powerful effect on those around you. She’s choosing to use her platform and followers as a source in order to get her voice out there. Whether you feel the same way as her or not, her bravery and ability to stand up for what she believes in is something to admire and replicate in your everyday life.

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.