I don’t know about you, but final exams always sneak up on me, and I always seem to forget all my study and preparation strategies in the process. Fall 2023 was my first semester officially admitted into my major, so I feel an extra layer of pressure to actually and truly be on top of all my schoolwork, that way I can channel it into my future career and hopefully an internship this summer. As a result, on top of all the holiday season preparations, I’ve also started stressing about what anti-procrastinating tactics I want to implement this finals season.

I’ve been compiling a list of things I’m going to do to set myself up for success for my finals. Hopefully, they can give you ideas on what you need to do to start preparing for this dreaded time of the school year.

put your exams on your calendar

I’ve heard so many horror stories (and experienced them) where I got my dates mixed up and I sent myself into an immediate panic. All dates and times should be in your class syllabi on Canvas, but if not, don’t be afraid to reach out to your professors. I use the calendar app that comes with iPhones, but I’ve heard positive things about Google Calendar and Microsoft’s Outlook Calendar. I put the class time on there, and if I’m having an exam, I put the location and the time it starts and ends. You can also use your calendar app to schedule study times and breaks for yourself.

Make your flashcards and Quizlets RIGHT NOW

Like I’ve said, I lose track of time easily. In addition to that, I pretty much despise making Quizlets. They always take me a lot of time (I am detail-oriented to a fault) and I’m always scared I’ll miss a point that my professor stressed during class. If you start putting your Quizlets together now, you can add in any missing points and any assignment questions from the semester. This is a great way to prep and get ahead of your studying, which you’ll be thankful for during the intense finals week.

do your laundry

I know this is so random, but my laundry has gotten away from me so much this year. I know we all have our favorite leggings, hoodies, sweatshorts, and more, so how should we be expected to ace our finals without our lucky hoodie?

A lot of times, laundry day is the best day. I have all my favorite clothes refreshed and clean, and I’m always so excited to wear my favorite sweatpants from Target and my favorite athletic shorts from Lululemon. So make sure all your lucky, favorite, most comfy clothing items are ready to go for finals week. This enables you to channel all your brainpower and attention into your studies and take away any worries or stressors from silly things such as dirty laundry and a lack of clothes.

Stock up on your No. 2 pencils

It’s the end of the semester and your pencil stock might be running low. Make sure to run to CVS or Target and stock up on any last-minute supplies such as No. 2 pencils, erasers, and highlighters.

Book study rooms now!

One of my favorite resources to take advantage of at Florida State are the study rooms in Strozier, the Academic Center of Excellence (ACE), Dirac, and the Innovation Hub. You can book study rooms for different amounts of time days in advance. You can reserve study rooms through the FSU libraries, ACE, and Innovation Hub websites with your FSUID.

Another perk of ACE and its study rooms is that it also offers tutoring services. It’s important to book study rooms now because they’ll fill up during finals week. It’ll save you from the embarrassment of searching for a table with your friends in a filled library.

Finals week is the most hectic time of the semester, but with these tips, you can stay organized and prepared to focus on your exams. Happy studying!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Kara and I am a Retail Entrepreneurship major from Tampa, Florida! I love traveling, going to concerts, coffee runs, and film cameras!