How the Government Shutdown Affects Us All

This government shutdown has been America’s longest government shutdown so far. Should we be scared?

This current shutdown is the second to occur under President Donald Trump while he is serving. The first shutdown was provoked due to the Republican and Democratic senators fighting over immigration issues; however, it was only a three-day shutdown.

This current second government shutdown has made history. So far it is the longest shutdown in our government history and is actively ongoing. It began Dec. 22, 2018 and carried into the new year. This shutdown is due to Trump wanting $5.7 billion in funding for a border wall to be secured with the United States government’s budget. At first, mainly Democrats were opposed to the proposition, but shortly after some key Republicans were also opposed to the funding.

Democrats have held control of Congress since the mid-term election of 2018. Without the Democrats being onboard, any further bill for funding of the border wall was going to be shut down. This put the government at a stand-still. As referenced in an article by The Root, “President Don Snow, is turning to tactics of huffing like a child, folding his arms, and storming out of a room.” During a meeting held with Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, he proceeded to storm out once he found out he wasn’t going to be getting his way.

Who is being affected by these actions? The following is a list of some of the groups the shutdown has impacted:

Native American Tribes

According to the New York Times, Native American tribes who operate mainly off of the federal funding are being crippled, and this is because of outstanding treaties made between the government and the tribes years and years ago. The government guaranteed that the tribes would receive funds for health care and education for being forced off their land.

Airport Security

TSA agents are responsible for screening the passengers and their baggage that goes through security checks to prevent hectic events and endangerment to everyone’s lives. The TSA agents have been working tirelessly without pay. With the multiple call-outs that were reported, the airports were short-handed for staff for security. In New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Orlando, and Atlanta, there were major setbacks due to the lack of staff not showing up for unpaid work. Some of the terminals were closed as a result.

Food Inspectors and Consumers

The Environmental Protection Agency had to cut most of their employees. These jobs include inspecting any chemical factories, inspecting power plants, inspecting water treatment plants, inspecting pollution and monitoring compliance. The FDA has been forced to stop its inspections on a variety of seafood, vegetables, fruits and other foods that are at higher risk for contamination.

Immigration Courts

Immigration courts which are already backlogged have been closed. This has led to long delays in deportations. The irony has been pointed out since the government shutdown was due to Trump wanting to get rid of all “illegals or immigrants.” But the shutdown has mainly affected the immigration court proceedings in which many cases are not being pushed for right now, and no one is being deported.

Criminal Investigations

The FBI, DEA, Bureau of Prisons, Customs and Border Protection, Coast Guard and Secret Service are all going without pay but are being forced to work. The FBI agents were told “they must continue to report into work because they are deemed essential”.”

These are just a few of the major groups affected by this shutdown. Even with Trump’s new announcement stating he would open the government back up for three weeks, he still threatens that he can and will shut it down if he needs or wants to.

Trump isn’t the one directly affected by the shutdown. This shutdown has opened many eyes and shown what America is up against.

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Kamaria is a double major in English Literature & Communications. Kamaria has served two companies with their editing departments for blogging and journalism. She has been published in two literary magazines. When she’s not watching Netflix, traveling, reading, or writing; you can catch her watching and playing sports. Please email any praise, comments, tips, hate, or inquiries to kyi7777@gmail.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.