How Going Greek Changed My Life

Name: Adrianne Milea

Year: Freshman

Major: Exploratory (possibly Music)

Age: 18

Hometown: Syracuse, New York

Her Campus (HC): Why did you decide to come to Florida State?

Adrianne Milea (AM): It reminded me of home. When I found out my parents wanted to move away from Syracuse, I was so upset. I toured other schools in Florida and didn’t get the same vibe. FSU was the only one that had all the qualities I was looking for: beautiful campus, Greek life and a great College of Music. Everyone I met while I toured was so welcoming and made me really excited to be a ‘Nole.

HC: What was it like when you first came here?

AM: It was extremely difficult. I felt very alone and scared. I felt like the campus was huge and there were so many people. It was hard to figure things out by myself. I also have bad anxiety so it was even more difficult dealing with that.

HC: So what helped you get through it?

AM: I went through the rush process and met my second family. From the beginning, I had girls by my side to help me through it. The girls in my sorority guide me and support me continuously. I have also made so many friends. It’s been difficult being away from where I grew up in New York but I know I made the right choice by joining my sorority. It’s nice to know I’m not alone, ya know?

HC: Makes sense! What sorority are you, clearly, so proud to be in?

AM: Sigma Delta Tau.

HC: And how else have they helped you during your first semester in a foreign place?

AM: We have had many sisterhood events. It’s a chance for me to really get to know my sisters. We do so many cute things for each other at the sisterhood events like write things we love about each other on slips of paper and give them to each other. It’s a support system.

HC: Many sororities are involved in different community service activities, tell me a little bit about your philanthropy.

AM: I absolutely love how involved my sorority is with the community. We work with Dance Marathon to help raise money for families who can’t afford their child’s medical bills. We also have events for all of FSU that help raise money for different things. One of my favorites was when we held an event called ‘Can You Take the Heat?’ where we served wings and other great food. All the money went to our philanthropy. These events are my favorite because so many students come out and it’s another chance for me to make even more friends.

HC: Thank you so much for letting us know how you managed to make it through your first semester, hopefully your insight will help others who struggle during their first semester! We at Her Campus wish you luck in your future.

Writer & editor. Pursuing dreams. Editing, Writing and Media and Mass Media Communications double major.
Her Campus at Florida State University.