andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Eat Your Way Through Italy: A Florence Food Guide

All throughout my first year of college, the extent of my “fine Italian dining” was Mellow Mushroom Pizza. However, when I decided to pack my bags and move to Italy for four months, I entered a world of food I didn’t even know existed. Although some may perceive Italy as a hub for pasta and pizza (which it is), there is so much more to food in Florence that will serve as the foundation for your vacation.

1. All’Antico Vinaio

Courtesy: iItaly

Location: Via dei Neri, 76 R, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy

Best known for: Paninos (aka: paninis!)

I recommend: “La Favolosa”

If you’re ever craving a panini larger than your face for the price of only five euros, All’Antico Vinaio is the place to go. With four locations all along the same street, this not-so hole-in-the-wall panini shop is easily the most populated quick bite in all of Florence. If you plan on going during their peak hours during mid-day, be prepared to wait in a line so long it wraps around the street. Despite the potential wait, All’Antico Vinaio paninis are an absolute staple in Florence. With a menu of five specialty paninis (but flexibility for customization), you are guaranteed a flavorful experience of meats, cheeses, vegetables and sauces like no other! Pro tip: blend in with the locals and refer to them as “paninos.”

2. Don Fefe’ Porta Romana

Courtesy of Firenze Repubblica

Location: Via Senese, 17e, 50124 Firenze FI, Italy

Best known for: Pizza

I recommend: “Caprese”

Mamma Mia! Here I go again! …and again, and again, and again. Don Fefe’ has the ability to put any American pizza I’ve ever eaten to absolute shame with just one bite. The freshness and quality that goes into every pizza served is simply unmatched. Aside from the extensive pizza selection though, the atmosphere and dining experience are really what make Don Fefe’ the ideal Italian dinner. Upon arrival, you are greeted with a sample of the house prosecco, setting the perfect mood for the evening. Overall, this is the ideal place for a nice, elegant dinner out while enjoying the simple, quality meal that is an Italian pizza.

3. Ditta Artigianale, Firenze

Courtesy: Yelp

Location: Via dello Sprone, 5/R, 50121 Firenze FI, Italy/ Via dei Neri, 30/32 R, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy

Best known for: Pastries, Coffee and Brunch

I recommend: “Pistachio Croissant” or “Crusty Avocado”

Now, time for the most important meal of the day; breakfast! Eating breakfast at Ditta Artigianale is nothing short of a perfect start to any morning. With two locations on either side of the Ponte Vecchio bridge, this café is the ideal blend of American and Italian breakfast. If you are looking for a quick bite, you can order a coffee and pastry at the bar. But if you are hoping to stay awhile for a cozier experience, you can sit down and indulge in their extensive brunch menu while listening to great music with a fun vibe. And for anyone that prefers a specific milk in their coffee, they do offer a variety, such as almond and oat.

4. Mercato Centrale Firenze

Courtesy: Beat My Path

Location: Piazza del Mercato Centrale, Via dell’Ariento, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy

Best known for: Everything!

I recommend: Going hungry and ready to eat!

Get ready to unbutton your jeans after this meal as we enter the two-story market dining hall that is Mercato Centrale. This is the place you go where you want to try anything and everything. The first floor (open until 5PM) is more market-style with various vendors selling their produce, meats, cheeses, wine and more. There are also a few vendors selling fresh pasta and paninis for around five euros. This is the spot you want to go to for sampling food, drinking and a quick bite. However, as you enter the upper level (open until midnight), you will experience strictly meal and wine stands. Stands vary from fresh pasta, pizza, veggie burgers, dumplings, sushi, pizza pockets, bread, cheese and wine (just to name a few). My only advice when going to Mercato Centrale is to eat as much as your stomach can hold. The post-dining food baby will be worth it, I promise.

5. Vivoli

Courtesy: The Curious Appetite

Location: Via Isola delle Stinche, 7r, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy

Best known for: Gelato

I recommend: “Pistachio” or “Caffe”

As someone who has an aggressive sweet tooth, I’d say I saved the best for last with gelato. Gelato is a staple in Italy, and you will likely find a shop about every five steps. But with so many options, it’s hard to know if you’re choosing the best gelato. A tip I learned night one in Italy was that it’s not as authentic if it is high mounded and fluffy (which you will see a lot of in populous areas). Although it’s not hard to find great gelato, coming from someone who has found tons, there is something about Vivoli gelato that keeps my craving high. My dream team pairing is always pistachio and caffé, but there is a variety that caters to every taste. It is also the first gelato place I’ve found with a mojito flavor!

Despite these places comprising a large part of my study abroad diet, food in Florence is everywhere. It is likely you’ll never have a bad meal in Florence and if my stomach could hold it all, I would never stop eating here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Media/Communications Studies Major
Her Campus at Florida State University.