How Coronavirus May Affect your Spring Break

Although we got through hurricane season relatively unscathed last semester, we could not have seen a whole pandemic in our future. Additionally, we could not have predicted this pandemic as being the dark cloud looming over our heads in what is supposed to be a time of relaxation and the turning of a new season.

As of Wednesday, most universities will be switching from regular class and lecture procedures to online formats until April. For Florida State University, this online switch is happening at the extension of our spring break.

Besides the daunting idea of a new class format awaiting you at the end of the week, the coronavirus outbreak has a few other implications that may change your spring break from going as planned.

Coronavirus teal and orange
CDC

1. Flights (domestic and international)

People Inside Commercial Air Plane
Sourav Mishra / Pexels

Since the outbreak, and further since Trump has placed the travel ban on 26 European Countries, flight ticket prices have reached even lower prices. As tempting as a spontaneous $70 trip to New York City may be, it is important to weigh all the implications of this possibility. Additionally, Broadway has officially gone dark and major sporting events have been canceled; so how much is there really to see without these major tourist activities?

There have now been a handful of incidents in which an infected passenger has boarded a flight and unknowingly exposed passengers to the virus. Especially as Florida is home to four different International Airports, traveling is certainly putting you at a high risk of exposure. Additionally, FSU’s policy includes the fact that if you left campus for the week of spring break, you are not permitted to return until April 6, allowing for a quarantine time.

2. Beaches

two hearts in sand on a beach
Photo by Jude Beck on Unsplash

Some good news is that as of now, there have been no warnings about staying away from most beaches; especially northern Florida locations. Miami Beach has declared a state of emergency, however. As crowded as they become on spring break, it is important to remain mindful of hand washing and the refrainment of sharing drinks/vape devices with others.

3. Cruises

Orange Corona quarantine notice
Photo by CDC from Unsplash

As for those wanting to take a classic cruise trip over the break, this is a plan that is either also being shut down or puts you at a very high risk of exposure if you follow through. As two major cruise lines, “Princess” and “Viking” have shut down, other cruise ships continuing with voyages may find themselves having to quarantine whole ships at a time if one mere passenger is exposed to the virus.

4. Amusement Parks

Disneyland Ferris Wheel
Tyler Nix

Living in Florida, our plethora of amusement parks is our other main attraction. However, as Disney World has officially shut down, Universal followed in these footsteps and closed effective on March 15 and potentially through the end of March.

Overall, the coronavirus outbreak escalated very quickly and is not necessarily a force to be reckoned with. As college students, we have a tendency to assume we are untouchable at times. While you may be able to confidently think corona would have little effect on you personally, you must approach it as the global pandemic it is, looking at the surrounding picture that includes your loved ones, peers, and classmates. Coronavirus does not have to ruin your spring break! However, it is important to take it seriously and be cautious and thoughtful about the decisions and plans you have for the week.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

School: Florida State University Year: Sophomore Majors: Editing, Writing & Media, Psychology
Her Campus at Florida State University.