My rule when getting ready has always been that if it takes me more than 15 minutes, it’s taking too long. My philosophy when it comes to fashion is to put in minimal effort but still find a way to look chic and having a capsule wardrobe is what allows me to achieve that. If you don’t know what a capsule wardrobe is, it’s basically a collection of good basic clothing pieces that you can mix and match year-round. Having a capsule wardrobe really allows you to maximize wear out of your pieces and make sure that the clothes you have in your closet are actually being used rather than just sitting there collecting dust. 

clothes
Lauren Fleischmann

When starting to build your capsule wardrobe the first thing you should do is consider things like climate, work schedule, color palette, etc. Everyone lives a different type of life so it’s really important to take into consideration when doing your research on capsule wardrobes that yours may not look the same as someone else’s. For example, if you live in a colder climate I would suggest having a nice black puffer or if you’re someone who works an office job then having a good blazer might not be a bad idea. However, a good place to start no matter what kind of lifestyle to lead is by making sure you have universal basics in your closets such as a white tee-shirt, denim, white sneakers and a good jacket. These are all clothing items that you can use year-round no matter where you live and things that will be relevant in your closet throughout all stages of your life.  

Two Hanged Blue Stonewash And Blue Jeans
Mica Asato / Pexels

Something else to consider when building your capsule wardrobe is investing in good basics. What I’ve learned is that when you make sure that your basic clothing is really good quality you never have to worry about repurchasing every few months and because the quality of the fabric tends to be nicer when you invest, it means that you can also dress things up or down more easily meaning they become more versatile. It can seem kind of silly to consider spending 40 to 50 dollars on a white tee shirt but when you consider cost per wear you definitely end up getting your money’s worth out of it. With that being said, you can still find good quality basics without spending a ton of money, just pay attention to things like fabric and fit so that you’re buying pieces that will last a long time. My favorite places to shop for affordable basics are stores like Zara, Topshop, and Storets. 

Cam Morin via Unsplash

After building your capsule wardrobe of core basics, you can start to filter in fun and trendy pieces that tend to fade in and out of style. While I recommend splurging a bit on basics, trendy pieces are an area in your closet where you should be saving money by shopping at budget-friendly stores like H&M or Forever21 because you know that these aren’t items that will stay in your closet forever. These are also stores that contribute a lot of waste within the fashion industry so a good idea is to make sure that you keep clothing in good condition and make a store on apps like Depop or Poshmark to re-sell your clothing rather than giving it away. You can also research reputable charities within your area that accept clothing donations and give back to your community as well. 

Having a capsule wardrobe is just a generally good way to not only be able to effortlessly look put together at all times but it also allows us to be mindful of how much extra clothing we buy when we aren’t considering how much wear we will get out of it. If you need extra information and inspiration on capsule wardrobes you can check out different Pinterest boards and use them as a resource to guide you in building your own. 

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

Student at Florida State University studying political science and philosophy.
Her Campus at Florida State University.