American Horror Story
American Horror Story
Wikimedia Commons

From “Home Alone” to “American Horror Story”: Macaulay Culkin Joins Season 10

After a decade of being out of the spotlight, the star of Home Alone is making a comeback in a very unexpected way. Alongside Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters (who are returning to the show after skipping out on season 9), Macaulay Culkin is appearing as a character in season 10 of American Horror Story, making this his first time he will remain a series regular in a TV show. The news was released on Instagram by co-creator Ryan Murphy, who uploaded a mysterious teaser trailer displaying the names of the actors who will be in the season. As expected, this surprise accumulated thousands of comments that speculated on the return of Culkin. 

home alone new year
Giphy

Culkin expressed his own surprise regarding the feedback of the reveal, joking on Twitter that he had “died again” due to his name trending on the website. But in reality, fans are simply stunned with the star-power of season 10, which is set to release sometime around fall in 2020. The theme of season 10 – which American Horror Story changes every season – is yet to be revealed. According to Fox NewsAmerican Horror Story will be airing on FX for approximately 13 seasons, which will mark the end of the decade-long journey of the series. 

Culkin’s most high-profile movies all released in a span of two years, from Home Alone (1990) to My Girl (1991) to Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992). He was nine years old when he blew up as one of the biggest child stars to date, which is extremely young to be navigating the world of Hollywood. When Culkin appeared on Ellen in 2018, he briefly discussed the pressure from his acting career as he stated, “I was tired of it, to be honest. I did like 14 movies in six years or something like that. I was away from home a lot. I was away from school. I needed something else. I needed to grow and develop as a person.” 

Culkin disappeared from the spotlight with reason, as he was the targeted subject of many tabloid rumors and commentary regarding extreme drug spending and abuse. According to a statement released to the Huffington Post by representatives of Culkin back in 2012, the rumors were immediately shot down as they stated, “The report in the National Enquirer that Macaulay Culkin is addicted to heroin and assorted hallucinogens is not only categorically without merit, but it is also impossibly and ridiculously fictitious.” 

Now that almost three decades of Culkin’s Christmas legacy has passed, he is ready to move on from his childhood acting days and alleged rumors to show the world who he is as a reestablished actor. American Horror Story, bring it on. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.