Hip-Hop Is More Than Just Music

Discussion panel (from left): Mr. Fred Flowers, Mr. Rodney Moore, Mr. Shamar Cole and Mr. Andrew Mannheimer

Last week, R.O.O.T. 16, a student group on Florida State’s campus, held an enlightening seminar entitled The Beat of Influence: The Effect of Hip-Hop on American Society and Black Culture. The event not only brought about discussion on the origin and evolution of hip-hop music, but also its relation to and negative connotations with today’s younger generation. In addition to audience questions, there was also a panel of distinguished young men within the Florida State and Tallahassee community that spoke on these issues. The members of the panel included Mr. Fred Flowers, the first African American student to don an athletic jersey at FSU, Mr. Rodney Moore, the current president of the Black Student Union, Mr. Andrew Mannheimer, a graduate student and sociology professor at Florida State University, and one of R.O.O.T. 16’s own members, Shamar Cole.

The seminar began with an icebreaker activity called “Finish These Lyrics.” Audience members were asked to finish the lyrics of popular hip-hop songs from artists like Biggie Smalls and Jay Z. Afterwards, the executive members of R.O.O.T. 16 posed an array of questions to the audience and panel members about how hip-hop has affected their lives. From clothing choice to character, attendees discussed the ways in which hip-hop music can affect the way that people carry themselves, how they dress, and what type of goals they set. The panel also informed the audience about the origins of hip-hop music. It began in Bronx, New York, and has since then adapted and expanded through multiple cultures, genres, and places. Everyone learned a little bit of history about the evolution of hip-hop, as well as the positive impact and universality of hip-hop music.

Mr. Mannheimer described the hip-hop culture, saying, “It gives a voice to populations that have historically been disenfranchised. It allows people to express what they’re going through and describe where they come from…in a way it’s a form of journalism and storytelling. It allows for different groups to learn from each other.”

Mr. Flowers elaborated on this by saying, “Hip-hop is an expression of what’s going on, but you can’t stop with hip-hop in 2014. It didn’t start in 2014; it didn’t start with rap music. If you listen to European music, lots of great musicians…there is one thing that is noticeably absent from their music: drums. Absolutely no percussion. You don’t get the drumbeat until you brought the Africans to America. The beat of the drum was a way of communicating.”

Clearly, hip-hop music is more than just gold chains and expensive liquor. It has deep roots in black history, and showcases the current events of the time. Hip-hop has created a culture that is not limited to a particular ethnic group. Hip-hop is a way of life.

At the end of the seminar, representatives from Take Heed Films spoke about their upcoming short film, titled “Chain Music,” which premiers at the Tallahassee IMAX Theater on November 12th.  Jay Sweet, an alumnus of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, wrote and directed the film. He depicts the plot as a visual recreation of Willie Lynch, who was a plantation owner and who created the infamous letter, “The Making of a Slave,” which started circulating during the 1970s. Represented in a modern-day setting, Willie Lynch decides to use hip-hop music as a means of expression within the black community. The film will be sure to incite a much-needed discussion. For more information about the film, and how to receive free tickets to the screening this week, Collegiettes can visit the “Chain Music Movie” film page on Facebook.  

The night was full of intellectual conversation, and even some debate. Be sure to look out for more fascinating panels put on by R.O.O.T. 16 in the future!

California native, Kaylah Jackson is currently a senior at Florida State University where she is majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. Her passion for sports, women's health and social issues coupled with her love for writing inspires her to pursue a career in television journalism. Make sure to keep an eye out for her on a national news network in the coming years! When she isn't brainstorming for her next story idea, Kaylah enjoys working out, binge watching The Office and attempting to get her friends to incorporate kale and avocado into their daily source of nutrition.
Her Campus at Florida State University.