freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Here’s Why Galentine’s Day is Better Than Valentine’s Day

Spending time with your significant other while enjoying a romantic evening filled with endless gifts and a candle-lit dinner at your favorite restaurant may be something that you enjoy, but if you’re looking for a holiday that celebrates your girlfriends and the love you have for them—then mark your calendars for February 13, Galentine’s Day.

Courtesy: Giphy

If you don’t know what Galentine’s Day is, you should at least know that it is way better than Valentine’s day. If you’re still confused, that’s because you’ve never watched the American sitcom ‘Parks and Recreation’—which you should.

This fictional holiday was declared by Amy Poehler’s character, Leslie Knope,  in season 2 of ‘Parks and Recreation’. She defines the day as being “the best day of the year.” In this episode, the day is filled with Leslie and her pals leaving their boyfriends and husbands at home while they go and celebrate their love for each other over brunch and mimosas. It’s a day filled with, as she explains it, “ladies celebrating ladies.”

Since the episode aired eight years ago, the idea of Galentine’s Day has swept social media by storm and united woman all over the world—dedicating a new day to celebrating each other. It’s not an anti-Valentine’s day where you hate the sight of flowers and gifts that are being shoved in your face. It’s almost the same as Valentine’s Day, but instead of celebrating your significant other, you celebrate your best friends. After all, boys come and go but best friends are forever. Ovaries before brovaries.

Courtesy: Best Products

Valentine’s Day will always be a Hallmark holiday full of flowers and cliché boxes of chocolates (and also a depressing reminder for singlets). But Galentine’s Day is on the rise and should be celebrated by everyone, guy or gal. The term itself, #galentinesday, has been shared more than 222,000 times on Instagram. People are using the hashtag and showcasing Galentine’s themed parties and businesses are promoting their Galentine’s themed brunches and specials for February 14. According to The Atlantic, last year, even huge businesses like Lyft and Target promoted the holiday on Twitter in 2017.

Courtesy: Love Sweat Fitness

Don’t you think your friends deserve their own special day? It can be so much fun when showing your love for your girlfriends by getting them little gifts before V-Day like bath bombs, candles, makeup, etc.. Or even a thoughtful picture frame with a photo of you together in it.

Courtesy: Giphy

Another way to celebrate Galentine’s Day? Throw a party or small get together. From treats like macaroons to fries (because fries before guys)—the decoration possibilities are endless. But, if throwing a party isn’t your thing, no worries. There are plenty of ways to celebrate Galentine’s day, after all its about celebrating YOU and YOUR LADIES. Do whatever you think is a fun way to celebrate your relationship.

Galentine’s Day is a celebration of female friendship and a reason to raise a toast to your soulmates. To bask in each other’s presence and show your appreciation for their love and support. Find out what ‘Galentine’s Day’ events are going on near you, grab your girl pal and go. Valentine’s Day is so 2009—thank you, Leslie Knope.

Her Campus at Florida State University.