After months of anticipation, ViacomCBS has transformed its original streaming service into a content-heavy replacement known as Paramount Plus. ViacomCBS, one of the last major conglomerates to incorporate a streaming platform, launched the service in the U.S, Latin America, and Canada on March 4. The mass media platform will branch out to other countries in the next coming months but as of right now, these three areas currently have access to the service. It will be rivaling other successful streaming services in the market like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.

a person holding a remote control with Netflix displayed on a blurred out tv in the background
Photo by Erik Mclean from Unsplash

In what originally was known as CBS All Access, Paramount Plus has a lot to offer for anyone curious about the streaming service. The rebranded platform will drop the original price of $5.99 a month and replacing it with a lower price of $4.99, making it more affordable for those looking for a good deal. However, this change will not launch until June of this year. A $9.99 premium plan will also be available for purchase and it will be free of ads for on-demand streaming, unlike the $4.99 plan. Additionally, this plan will allow customers to get the full Paramount Plus experience with access to live CBS TV, CBS news feed and sports broadcasts.

The extensive library for Paramount Plus includes content from live sports, news, television shows and movies. The streaming service currently includes 30,000 TV episodes and more than 2,500 movies. All of the content derived from CBS-owned networks—like Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central and Smithsonian Channels—will be available for on-demand streaming as soon as the user signs up for the platform. Movies under Paramount Pictures and MGM studios are added to the lineup as well. In addition to media from the cable network brands, Paramount Plus is planning on premiering 36 original series including spin-offs and reboots of popular, old shows in their first year of service.

a tv screen with purple lights in the background. there are multiple apps displayed in the tv
Photo by Nicholas J Leclercq from Unsplash

For TV fans, this is what the streaming service has to offer. Under Paramount Plus, Nickelodeon will be launching Avatar Studios, which will be including highly anticipated spin-offs and live-action movies from the original animated series, Avatar. Nickelodeon’s iCarly and Rugrats will also be rebooted, leaving fans of the nostalgic tv shows bubbling with excitement. Shows from MTV like The Real World and Behind the Music are planning to be revived and a Criminal Minds-inspired docuseries is also in the works. There are plenty more series that are planning to be created but these are just a glimpse of what’s to come. Now for movie enthusiasts, Paramount Plus will accommodate upcoming theatrical releases after it debuted on the big screen. Currently, upcoming major titles such as A Quiet Place 2, Mission Impossible 7 and Top Gun: Maverick are set to be released within 45 days after their premieres. It is unsure when most of these programs will premiere on the platform because of restrictions and guidelines of COVID-19 for filming, but all are in pre-production currently.

Currently, the streaming service is offering new customers a one-month free trial if they sign up before March 31 and students can purchase the service with a 25 percent discount, available for four years.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Darline is a senior majoring in Media/Communication Studies and Editing, Writing, and Media. Although she's a Fort Lauderdale native, she's still a Caribbean by heart. Essentially, she is a boyband enthusiast that spends too much time reading on Archive of Our Own, listening to Hip-Hop/R&B and watching Netflix.
Her Campus at Florida State University.