Style > Beauty

Her Picks: The Editors’ Guide to Fashion, Beauty, Music & More

Our editors here at Her Campus FSU have decided to create a bi-weekly column, Her Picks, sharing what we’re obsessed with at the moment. Every other week, our editors will let you in on their latest finds—whether it be a cool new beauty product, interesting restaurant or a band they can’t get enough of. Here are a few of our editors’ picks this week: 

Rachel Epstein, Editor-in-Chief

1. How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are

If you’re looking for a chic way to channel your inner French girl, you need to grab a copy of How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are.  The book is filled with beautiful images and personal anecdotes that can leave any girl wanderlusting for a Parisian getaway. I only have a few pages left and in-between I somehow convinced my parents to take a family trip this winter – whoops.

2. Dior Spring/Summer 2016

A week later, I still CANNOT get over Dior’s SS16 show in Paris (as you could have guessed from above, I’m a bit obsessed with all things French). Dior Creative Director Raf Simons created an insanely beautiful mount of delphiniums as a backdrop for the dreamy clothes. It’s currently my background on my laptop so I can pretend to relive it every day. Find out more here or watch below.

3. Villoid

I’m all about finding inspiration and it just got a little easier with Alexa Chung’s new app, Villoid. To put it simply, Villiod is a destination for digital mood boards with access to hundreds of shoppable items. I’m still trying to fully navigate the app, but if you’re interested in some new ideas for your closet, this app is definitely for you.

Emily Clemons, Managing Editor

1. Kate Allan’s Body-Positive Gifs

Body-positivity is something that I – like many people – have to work at daily. In a media-soaked culture that loves to tear at people’s self-esteem, I am loving these body-positive gifs by illustrator Kate Allan. They’re really inclusive, and show different women’s body types, ethnicities and experiences, so they’re extremely relatable and fun! Check out this HuffPost Women article to see them and read more about Allan.

Courtesy: Sparknotes

2. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel

Fun Home is at the top of my reading to-do list at the moment. It’s a graphic novel and memoir that depicts Bechdel’s childhood growing up as the lesbian daughter of a funeral director – whom also happens to be gay. The book touches on themes of sexual orientation, gender roles and more. In addition to being an awesome book, it’s been adapted into a Tony Award Winning Broadway musical (I’m obsessed with the song “Ring of Keys”). I’m counting down to Thanksgiving break so I can dive into this book.

3. Essie’s Gel Setter Top Coat

I don’t wear nail polish often, but when I do, it has to look perfect. However, I never have the time or the budget to go to the nail salon. This top coat helps me get the gel manicure look without breaking the bank or wasting valuable study hours. It may not have the long-lasting capabilities of a true gel manicure, but it’s still a life-saver.

Anjelica MacGregor, Social Media Director

1. Stila Liquid Black Eyeliner

For the perfect wing, I highly recommend the Stila liquid black eyeliner pen. The thin tip of the brush makes it so easy to create a thick or thin wing. It can be bought at Sephora and is very affordable for the magic it does!

2. Beauty Behind the Madness

Regarding music, The Weeknd’s new album Beauty Behind the Madness is my current go-to music. My favorite songs on the album are “Acquainted” and “Shameless.” The whole album is free on Spotify, so check it out.

Taylor Dickey, Events Director

1. Chanel Spring/Summer 2016

If there is one brand I will always be loyal to, it’s Chanel. Karl Lagerfeld is a genius, and I can only dream of being in his presence one day. Every season I count on him to bring a new innovative idea to his shows and the Chanel SS16 show was no different. This season, Lagerfeld created Chanel Airlines, a one-way ticket to the chicest airport fashion ever seen. Chanel luggage? I can get used to that.

2. Ryan Adams’ Cover Album of Taylor Swift’s 1989 album

Ryan Adams has been releasing music for decades, but when I heard he was covering Taylor Swift’s 1989, I was instantly intrigued. To say their sounds are different is an understatement. However, I love the fresh and interesting spin he put on songs we’ve heard a million times. Check out “Welcome to New York” and “This Love.”

Colleen Koubek, Treasurer

1. Twenty One Pilots’ Blurryface

The new album by Twenty One Pilots is so much better than I would have expected. It talks about social issues in modern day society so there is a song that everyone can relate to on the album.

2. That 70’s Show

I never sat down and watched the episodes in order, but now that I have I’m mildly addicted. Also, it’s funny seeing Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis back in the day as an on-screen couple now that they have a kid in real life! 

Taylor Dickey is a Sophomore at The Florida State University who is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Hospitality Management. She hopes to work in the Fashion and/or Entertainment industry one day as a Public Relations Manager for a designer, an Art Director for a brand, or a Fashion Event Planner. She is interested and well-versed in Marketing & Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Brand Management, and Graphic Design. Originally from Houston, Texas, Taylor loves fashion, baking, laughing, the beach, and doing anything creative. She dreams big, loves with all her heart, and has an obsession with Pinterest.
Her Campus at Florida State University.