Style > Beauty

Her Picks: The Editors’ Guide to Fashion, Beauty, Music & More

Our editors here at Her Campus FSU have decided to create a bi-weekly column, Her Picks, sharing what we’re obsessed with at the moment. Every other week, our editors will let you in on their latest finds—whether it be a cool new beauty product, interesting restaurant or a band they can’t get enough of. Here are a few of our editors’ picks this week: 

Mikaela McShane, Editor-in-Chief

• “Station Eleven” by Emily St. John Mandel

Station Eleven is a dystopian novel that really reflects on the overarching influence of technology on society, and implores the reader to really consider who we will be when it’s all gone. The book approaches an overdrawn idea in a beautifully tragic new way. 

• Phish

Phish is an old school jam band that got their influence from the Grateful Dead. I grew up loving the Dead because of my dad. The concert scene at theses shows is something you have to experience to understand.

Ivanna Leitner, Public Relations Director

• Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner

I have been absolutely obsessed with hair treatments because who doesn’t want their dry hair to feel softer and look better? It’s hard to find a good leave-in conditioning treatment that isn’t going to leave your wallet empty. I found something affordable and amazing for my hair. It’s called Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner treatment and they have it for all hair types. It’s $3 at Target and I promise you it’s amazing.

• Milani Baked Blush

Another thing I have been obsessing over is a blush that you can buy at any drugstore. It’s called Milani Baked Blush and I get it in the color “Luminoso.” In fact, it’s their top-selling baked blush. However, all the other baked blush colors are gorgeous as well, and the quality seems way more expensive than the cheap price would indicate. If you’re looking to try a blush out, I definitely recommend this one!

Malory Hudson, Social Media Director

Why Not Me? By Mindy Kaling

There are few people who I would trade in my best friend for, but to be honest Mindy Kaling is one of them. In her second book, Kaling has made working hard cool again. She somehow manages to combine stories about sleeping with hot White House workers, essays about her fears and insecurities and inspirational speeches all in one neat and hilarious package. Why Not Me? is the equivalent of a sleepover with your best friend after the week from hell when all you need is a laugh and a hug. 

• Fiber One Bars

Why didn’t anybody tell me earlier how good these are? I’m eating like 12 per day and ignoring the fact that they probably aren’t that healthy. Here is a 6-pack of bars if you’re obsessed like I am.

Kaylah Jackson, Events Coordinator 

• Cupcakes & Cashmere

Every morning I make sure to visit my favorite lifestyle blog, Cupcakes & Cashmere. I started following the writer of Cupcakes & Cashmere, Emily Schuman, about five years ago and have seen what started as just a fashion blog transform into an individualized brand. I love drawing inspiration from her “Weekly Wardrobe” and “Five Things” columns, where she reviews her outfits from the week and her latest obsessions—everything from food, favorite websites, makeup and traveling tricks. Being that both of us were raised in Southern California, her classic-yet-laidback and easygoing style really resonates with me, and I love trying to incorporate her suggestions into my everyday wardrobe.

• Tacospeak

Via Facebook advice from a friend, I recently tried Tacospeak for the first time and now I am definitely hooked. Other than the fact that it is within waking distance from my apartment, their tacos are delicious! On a first visit, I would recommend my favorite, the “CBLT” taco. It has fried chicken, bacon, lettuce, Pico de Gallo and chipotle ranch. And the best part? Nothing on the menu is over $5! 

• Joggers

Joggers have been my obsession for the last year. I have about 8 pairs and I refuse to let them go! 8 a.m. classes are pretty much synonymous with sweatpants, but joggers give me the option to make it look as though I put a little bit more effort into my morning routine. I’d like to think my style is quite eclectic, but I sway more to the sporty side so I love to pair them with cute sneakers and a cheeky graphic t-shirt. Comfortable, cute and too easy!

Amanda Burrows, Secretary

• Acai Bowls

My obsession lately has been making acai bowls. Maybe it’s because of the ample amount of time I spend on Tumblr, but I just love making my own unique superfruit bowls! I use my Nutribullet and blend a packet of acai with bananas and top it off with frozen strawberries and granola. They are so good! I made this one the other day. 

• Zipcar

I’ve recently started driving around Tallahassee using a Zipcar! Since I don’t own a car, I can use this service to go grocery shopping or out to the mall during the week. It’s only $15 for FSU students to sign up (instead of $70), and you pay $7.50 per hour that you want to drive! It’s honestly so great to feel the wind in your hair, and as an added bonus they also cover insurance and gas fees. You can try it out for 30 days or you can use this link to get $25 in FREE driving credits! That’s 3 hours of free travel!

• Twenty One Pilots and Taylor Swift

Some music that I’ve been loving lately include songs from the new Twenty One Pilots album (“Stressed Out” and “Tear In My Heart” are my favorites!), and Taylor Swift’s “Wildest Dreams” because she uses her own heartbeat as part of the tune. If you need a playlist to listen to while you study check out “Relax & Unwind” on Spotify. 

Taylor Dickey is a Sophomore at The Florida State University who is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Hospitality Management. She hopes to work in the Fashion and/or Entertainment industry one day as a Public Relations Manager for a designer, an Art Director for a brand, or a Fashion Event Planner. She is interested and well-versed in Marketing & Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Brand Management, and Graphic Design. Originally from Houston, Texas, Taylor loves fashion, baking, laughing, the beach, and doing anything creative. She dreams big, loves with all her heart, and has an obsession with Pinterest.
Her Campus at Florida State University.