Have You Caught The Rhythm Yet?

Did you know that as a Florida State student, you have access to the local bus system, for free? Star Metro is the local transit for the Tallahassee area and provides bus routes all over Tallahassee and Leon County. Recently, to help encourage ridership among Tallahassee residents, Star Metro launched their new evening bus route: The Rhythm Route.

The Rhythm Route runs on Friday and Saturday evenings from 5pm until 3am and provides safe and convenient bus transportation to the weekend hot spots in Tallahassee: Midtown, Downtown, and the recently developed College Town area. Along this route, passengers are able to go out and experience great weekend fun at many different local restaurants, bars, and clubs. Some businesses located along the Rhythm Route include Alchemy, Gaines St. Pies, Clyde’s and Costello’s, and many other great local venues. This is definitely helpful for those weekend nights when you want to go barhopping or meet up with friends that are scattered throughout Tallahassee. The Rhythm buses arrive at stops every 20 minutes, with complete round trips taking 40 minutes. The best part about the Rhythm Route: it’s free to everyone and takes you to places where the Night Nole doesn’t go. Also, by taking the Rhythm Route, you won’t have to worry about finding parking, deciding which friend will be the designated driver, or having to pay for a cab ride home.

I recently had my first experience on the Rhythm Route and have to say it was an excellent one. My friends and I were headed to Midtown to have a fun Friday night and we caught the Rhythm Route by my friend’s townhouse located near downtown, and were to Midtown in practically no time. The bus was not crowded at all, so no need to worry about standing. The only complaint I would have is probably the excessive smooth jazz music. I understand it’s called the Rhythm Route, but smooth jazz, really? All in all, my experience with the Rhythm Route was fantastic and I will most certainly be taking advantage of it again, real soon.

If and when you decide to take a ride on the Rhythm Route, just be aware of the following rules. First, no open containers or food are allowed on the buses, so leave the pre-gaming at home. Second, the buses do not stop at every single bus stop along the route, unless the signal for stopping is triggered on the bus, and you should make sure you give the driver plenty of notice before you want to get off of the bus.

While some of you may be skeptical about taking public transportation, just remember that the Rhythm Route is a free and safe way to ensure that you will get home after a fun night out, and it will also take you to all the great nightlife that Tallahassee has to offer. To learn more about the Rhythm Route and other bus routes offered in Tallahassee by Star Metro, visit their website at www.talgov.com/starmetro.

Want to learn more about the Rhythm Route or Tallahassee’s public transportation? Email me at hr09e@my.fsu.edu

Hi, my name is Hilary. I am a graduate student at The Florida State University, studying Urban and Regional Planning. I completed my undergraduate studies in International Affairs. I am very interested in global issues and plan to join the Peace Corps in 2014. I enjoy spending time with friends, music, movies, and following my favorite sports teams.
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."