Halloween Called, It Wants to Bring Psychological Thrillers Back in Season

Usually when one tries to get in the Halloween spirit, the first thing that comes to mind is to pull out the classics like Hocus Pocus or The Addams Family. Those who are more daring go straight for the typical horror movies like Halloween or Scream. However, one category that more than appropriately fits the spooky season often gets left out. If you like dark, thought-provoking films then you have come to the right place because I have a few movies that you need to watch before the day we all put on our costumes.  

Psychological thrillers are one of my favorite movie genres and I know just the guy to leave you deep in thought for days on end. So, grab some popcorn and mark your calendars for a Darren Aronofsky marathon!

Film Maker Machine Control Panel
Pixaby/Pexels
Darren Aronofsky is the director behind some amazing, mind-bending films and I’m going to share with you three of my favorites that you can watch on the days leading up to Halloween.

Requiem for a Dream (2000)

To sum up this movie in seven words, I always call it “the best movie I’ll never watch again.” If that doesn’t give off warnings already, I will emphasize this is an extremely intense two hours. This fascinating film tells the story of fleeting happiness and devastating loss by following the destruction of characters in the face of addiction. When I first watched this movie, it broke my heart into a million pieces and left me feeling a way that no other movie has made me feel before. Trigger warnings for this film should be noted and though it’s not for all audiences, Aronofsky truly created a masterpiece that, after viewing, will linger on in your memories for years to come.

Black Swan (2010)

This is probably the most well-known Aronofsky film for many reasons. This film is an artistic take on the dark impact of the mind and body when trying to achieve perfection. It revolves around a ballerina doing everything she can to make it big. She struggles with loneliness and innocence while striving to push those feelings away. In the midst of beautiful cinematography, the movie is also filled with psychological motifs that are alluring and almost enchanting. This riveting thriller will capture your attention from the start and leave you with profound admiration of the beauty that Aronofsky can capture even through the darkness.

Mother (2017)

If you love chaos and movies that have you clenching your fists in anticipation, then you must watch this. Mother comments on the state of our society today and forces you to acknowledge the deterioration of humanity. This movie is filled with symbolism and metaphors that once you understand, you will be better prepared for the madness that will soon unfold. To describe this experience in a different sense, think about having a nightmare that won’t end. This is almost a perfect representation of what to expect when watching this movie. I believe this is Aronofsky’s best work that everyone would appreciate due to its relevance and accuracy.

Darren Aronofsky has an exceptional way of telling stories and taking his audience on emotional journeys that are almost incomparable to others. Each one of his films is truly an experience. Now that these movies have been brought to your attention, I will now live vicariously through you by remembering what it was like the very first time I watched these films.

haunted house
Photo by ehud neuhaus from Unsplash

I hope these movies can bring a newfound excitement to the season and I hope everyone has a safe and happy Halloween!  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

dreamin big
Her Campus at Florida State University.