Girl and dog
Girl and dog
Emily Schutz

A Guide to Bringing Your Pet on Vacay

I’m taking my dog with me on a spring break vacation. I decided to do this because it seems like the only option for me. I don’t feel comfortable leaving my dog with anyone and I know that my dog wouldn’t be comfortable with that either. Planning a trip with a pet means that you have to account for things that you wouldn’t on a vacation without your fur baby. These are the things that I’ve learned in my experience traveling with my dog, Clover.

Account for Your Pet’s Travel Needs

One thing to be aware of is the accommodations that your pet will need when traveling. If flying, make sure to do your research on what you’ll need to do to get your pet to your destination. If driving, be sure to account for potty breaks, food, water and any of your pet’s needs. On a long road trip, it’s easy to forget that your pet needs to pee too or that they need water. You lose track of time. I recommend setting alarms to determine when your pet is getting what. 

Pack for Your Pet

Dog treats, bones, toys
Emily Schutz

Just as you pack for yourself, you should pack for your pet as well. Bring their bed, food, bowls, treats, medication, toys, etc. They deserve to have the things they need and to feel at home too. Keeping your pet entertained will prevent them from feeling anxious about traveling. For this upcoming spring break, I stocked up on treats, toys and bones to ensure that my dog enjoys himself too. Here’s a tip: If bones gross you out, you feel guilty buying them or you want a healthier option, try reindeer antlers. They’re naturally shedding, meaning that no cruelty was involved, and they’re better for your pet. Plus, dogs absolutely love them. It’s an easy way to keep them distracted while traveling.

Plan Activities for Your Pet

When going on vacation with your pet you need to be aware of what you’re doing and how long you’ll be gone. Personally, I don’t like to leave my dog alone for more than three hours, and that’s rare for me. When possible, I like to include my dog in the things that I’m doing, whether that be studying or meeting up with friends. Clover loves to be with me no matter what I’m doing. For me, this is absolutely true on vacation as well. Bring your dog to that café and sit outside. Take them on a hike. They’ll be so happy that you brought them along.

Book a Pet-Friendly Hotel or Airbnb

This one seems obvious, but it’s so important to ensure that the place you’re staying allows pets. Be aware that depending on the policy of that establishment and if your pet is not a service or emotional support animal you may have to pay a fee. You may think that you can get around this one by hiding your pet but be aware that, without knowledge of your pet being there, hotel staff may enter your room when you’re gone, which could endanger your pet (i.e. they escape the room or are frightened by the stranger).

Make Sure Your Pet Feels Comfortable

This is important to keep in mind, especially for rescue animals. My own dog, Clover, has abandonment issues. If I were to leave him in a new place without getting him acclimated to it first, he would lose his mind in fear. Depending on your own pet, this might be something to consider. When I’m staying in a new place with my dog, I make sure that he meets everyone there and feels safe with them so that in case I have to leave for a bit, he knows that he isn’t in danger. Not only should you acclimate your pet to the people but to the place as well. Let them explore and get used to your temporary home away from home before leaving your pet to go on any excursions.

Dog
Emily Schutz

I hope that these tips helped. I am so excited to experience new places with Clover and can’t wait for spring break. I wouldn’t want it any other way!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Emily is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications. In her free time, she enjoys singing, discovering new music, and tracking down the best coffee in Tallahassee. Find her on Instagram @emischutz.
Her Campus at Florida State University.