Get Out of the City: 3 of Tallahassee’s Most Beautiful Outdoor Escapes

The adage “the grass is always greener on the other side” is astonishingly applicable when it comes to Florida State’s student body. An overwhelming majority of students hale from south Florida, Tampa, or Jacksonville. I myself am no exception, and growing up in a largely suburban, outdoor-oriented area, I thought it would be a relief to finally live in a city like Tallahassee. Little did I know, Tallahassee is 70% traffic and 30% fast food joints, so needless to say the flare of city living soon gave way to nostalgic longing for the water and fresh air. Luckily, this “city” is full of surprises and hidden respites from the noise of the traffic and the stress of Strozier. 

The Rez is probably most widely known and commonly frequented by underclassman, and for good reason. The Rez has tons of free amenities available to students (rock climbing, paddle boards, canoes, nature trails, sand volley ball courts and a little makeshift lake beach). The Rez is a great way to get away from the hustle-and-bustle of Tallahassee, and keep up that gorgeous summer time tan.

Lake Ella is a personal favorite of mine. Located right off of Monroe Street is an inconspicuous lake surrounded by a gorgeous park. There is a sidewalk that runs the perimeter of the lake (.6 miles) which makes it an ideal spot for morning runs, dog walking, or just a leisurely walk to shake off the worries of school and soak up some sun.

Maybe it’s the beautiful scenery or the distance from the city, but the community around the lake and the people who frequent it are much friendlier and seem to be happier than the average person you might bump into on Tennessee Street. Don’t get me wrong, Florida State’s student population is overwhelmingly friendly, but once and awhile its nice to get away from talk of classes and how unfair your chem professor is, and remember what it feels like to be surrounded by water and trees.

If a good cup of coffee is your prerogative, and Starbucks brand coffee-flavored-sugar-milk doesn’t do it for you, then you my friend are in luck. The Black Dog, located right on the lake has (in my completely biased opinion) the best coffee in Tallahassee. With friendly and very knowledgeable baristas and a cozy café style interior, you will feel very at home and if you’re anything like me, very reluctant to leave.

Another Nole favorite is the infamous Bear Paw, and with kayaking, tubing, canoeing, and zip lining, this place is the ultimate outdoor experience in Tallahassee. Though it is a bit more of a drive (30 minutes or so from campus) than the previous two I mentioned, it is definitely worth the distance. To all of you south Floridians out there, this is the perfect place to go when you miss those sun-kissed days on the water.

These are just a few of the outdoor places Tallahassee offers to offer. This city may be a bit dirty and have a parking problem like no other, but it makes up for it with beautiful places to escape to, and not to mention an absolutely gorgeous campus! Maybe the grass really is greener on the ‘Noles side.

Third year Editing/Writing/Media & International Affairs Major.FSU Campus Correspondent Reader, Runner, Coffee lover."Everyones life ends the same way. It is only the details of how one lived and how one died that distinguish one man from another." ~Hemingway 
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."