Garnet & Gold Key Recipient Talks Accomplishments at Florida State University

Name: Nora Garcia

Hometown: Miami, FL

Major: Mass Media and Creative Writing

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Her Campus (HC): Can you tell me what being a 2017 Garnet & Gold Key initiate means to you?

Nora Garcia (NG): Being awarded the opportunity to become a member of Garnet and Gold Key has truly been a blessing. This prestigious organization, which is made up of scholars, leaders and path makers, pushes me think outside the box. In the short amount of time I have been a part of this organization, I have been inspired to work on a project that will leave a legacy at Florida State University, I have seen members of this organization accomplish great things, such as the founding of Power of #WE and it has truly opened my eyes to see that anything is possible if you put your mind and heart to.

HC: Can you tell me some accomplishments you have made here at Florida State University?

NG: Some of the things I have accomplished while being at Florida State University include being Vice- President of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (National Pan-Hellenic Council), Secretary of DREAM, a community service based organization, Center for Academic Retention & Enhancement TEAM Leader, (mentor freshman first generation students), Awards Chairman of College of Communication & Information Leadership Council, LEADERSHAPE Participant, Seminole Torchbearers and Garnet and Gold Key member. 

HC: What has been your major accomplishment here at Florida State University?

NG: My biggest accomplishment so far has been getting an internship with Florida State University Office of Communications because I have gained experience doing something I love. This in my eyes is an accomplishment because I am setting the foundation for my future career.

HC: What drives you the most to continue being the motivational person you are?

NG: One of my biggest motivations is that I am creating a pathway for other people. I may not know who that person is, but I get motivated knowing that I am making it seem possible to those who don’t feel like it is. Everything I do is done to reinforce the idea that anything is possible, I want everyone to know that nothing: age, gender, background, or experience can hinder you from doing what you want unless you give it the power to. 

HC: I know that you are a first-generation college student, how has that shaped your academic career?

NG: Being a first-generation student has driven me to get out of my comfort zone in order to get what I want. I came into college knowing that I wanted to set a path for others like me. Before entering college, I knew that I wanted to meet more than just the minimum during those four years and I made sure to do that by doing things that made me uncomfortable. I came out of my shell and tried to show others that success is possible, regardless of past circumstances or background. Being a first-generation student made me an innovator, I learned to create a path and follow it blindly in hopes of making myself better. It taught me that it is not what you lack in experience that defines where you’re rather it is the drive you have to get there. I would not have gone after half of the things I have in Florida State University had it not been for my past and I am grateful for that because I am a better student, leader and person because of it. 

HC: What advice can you give someone who is looking to get involved on campus?

NG: My biggest advice to anyone who wants to get involved on campus is to follow your heart. When looking for involvement don’t look for the title, or perks instead think of how this particular organization or involvement will align with the things you are passionate about and don’t be afraid to try something that makes you uncomfortable because most times those things are what will bring you the most growth.  

Her Campus at Florida State University.