Game of Thrones Locations to Travel to While You Wait for Winter

Do you spend your days rereading or rewatching the ASOIAF books/the HBO adaptation, Game of Thrones? Don’t just dream of walking the same footsteps as Jon Snow, Daenerys Stormborn and Queen Cersei. While you wait for the Winds of Winter and/or season 7, follow this guide to explore some of Earth’s most beautiful lands both on and off screen.

The North

Courtesy: Skyscanner

Doune Castle in Scotland is a thirteenth century castle and serves as Winterfell in the first episode. If you’re a fan of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you might recognize this castle. Reminisce on when House Stark was whole and happy, seen only in the pilot episode.

Beyond the Wall

Courtesy: Skyscanner

Wildling at heart? Travel to Grjótagjá, a small cave heated by underground lava. Outside the cave is nothing but snow and ice in north-east Iceland. Take a dip in the spring water that reaches temperatures of 122°F. Visit Grjótagjá in Iceland if you think Jon and Ygritte “should have stayed in that cave”.

King’s Landing, Qarth and Braavos

Courtesy: Skyscanner

Even though our lovely Queen of Thorns, Olenna Tyrell, said she can smell the sh*t from King’s Landing miles away, Dubrovonik, Croatia is a must if you’re a fan of the Capitol. Croatia is complete with the Red Keep and the Sept. Split, Croatia is the filming location of Qarth and Braavos. After you visit King’s Landing, see where Dany had her visions in the House of the Undying and Arya became “no one” in the House of Black and White. 

Dorne

Courtesy: Skyscanner

Travel to The Alcázar de Sevilla in Spain too see the Water Gardens of Dorne. Here’s where Myrcella and Trystane strolled through the gardens in season 5. House Martell and Lannister were enemies and Myrcella was forced to leave home for Dorne to be promised to Trystane. Even sworn enemies can fall in love here.

Iron Islands

Courtesy: Skyscanner

If you’re Ironborn and want to see the land of the Greyjoys: Baylon, Euron, Asha (Yara in the show), Theon… Reek, you’ll need to travel to Murlough Bay in Northern Ireland. This is the location of the season two scene where Yara and Theon have a not-so-innocent horseback ride.

A vacation to some or all of these locations should hold you over until George R.R Martin releases Winds of Winter. Safe travels and, Valar Morghulis.

FSU student, tutor, editor and writer
Her Campus at Florida State University.