March 20th marks the first day of spring. With the Tallahassee heat in full swing and our spring break tans set in, outside is where to be. As we go from hot coffee and scarves to daisy dukes and frozen yogurt, our social agendas have changed. Bar hopping has turned into pool hopping, but this routine of crowded pool complexes and loud DJs can get dull. Her Campus would like o offer a new list of places to splish-n-splash while having fun in the sun.

Our first stop is often overlooked by Tallahassee residents, but acts as a great alternative to apartment complex pools and far away destinations; it’s the Florida State Reservation. It may come as a shock, but many students haven’t experienced what “The Rez” has to offer. The reservation is approximately seventy acres, with ten acres located right next to Lake Bradford. The lake is accompanied by a faux beach that fulfills those coastline cravings. “The Rez” offers more than just tanning. You can enjoy outdoor activities like barbequing, rock climbing, volleyball, kayaking, and sailing. Students can even earn a sailing certification with The Rez Sail Clinic classes for only 10 dollars! With unlimited activities for little cost, many FSU organizations plan social retreats at the FSU reservation. This destination is only four miles from campus but its isolation allows you to get away from the hustle-n-bustle of everyday Tally life. For more information on activities at The Rez, call 850-644-6892.
For those who love the outdoors and don’t mind a mini road trip to the adventures of North Florida, these next few sunny locations can’t be missed. The experience and stories gained from interacting with these natural wonders are priceless, especially for us ‘city folk.’

Spending the day at a natural spring or river can seem like a foreign and possibly dangerous experience for many students. However, contrary to popular belief, these unchartered territories are favorites. Only fourteen miles south of Tallahassee, is a nine-mile fresh water river that houses the largest underwater cave system. This historical landmark is called Wakulla State Park. The park offers abundant wildlife, glass bottom boat tours and swimming springs. For nature lovers who would like more information on Wakulla Springs, visit www.FloridaStateParks.org/wakullasprings.
If you’d shy away from Wakulla Springs and would like a little more “controlled” adventure, you’d love our next destination. It’s the famous Bear Paw Escape! Bear Paw is a favorite among FSU students and the perfect ‘day adventure get-away.’ Bear Paw (the Chipola River) is located in Marianna, Florida. If you enjoy lazy rivers found in water parks or Disney World, then this is the real deal. The ride down the river is three to four hours long with facilities that offer kayaking, canoeing, and tubing. Gathering a large group of friends together for a day of tubing is the most popular choice among students. Who doesn’t want to float down a river with your best friends and a beer in hand? The facilities offer a regular tube for fifteen dollars as well as specialty tubes for higher prices. Bear Paw Escape even offers a tube for your cooler and actually string the tubes together so it won’t drift away. If the price is holding you back, many students opt to purchase their own funky tubes at Wal-Mart and float down the river in style on inflatable alligators. Bear Paw is an experience you won’t want to miss and a Her Campus favorite. Check it out at www.BearPawEscape.com.

For FSU students, Tallahassee is our temporary home and we’ve fallen in love. However, one thing is missing… the beach! Any avid beach-goer knows that no pool, lake, spring, or river can substitute a day by the ocean. If you’re longing for those summer beach days, Her Campus has found your fix.
St. George Island will surely fulfill your beachy dreams. The island is approximately ninety minutes away and well worth the drive. St. George Island has twenty-eight miles of undeveloped sand with no high-rise buildings or condos that often plague South Florida beaches. Facilities on the island offer numerous activities such as sixty campsites, pavilions, basketball courts, play grounds, restaurants, hiking, fishing, kayaking, and boating. You can even bring your furry companions since the island allows dogs. This getaway offers more than just beach activities because it is a historical landmark. Europeans discovered the Island in 1528. It was inhabited not only by Creek and Seminole Indians, but also pirates! History buffs should visit Cape St. George Lighthouse and museum for more information. You can research St. George Island and prepare your beach camping trip at http://www.visitflorida.com/St_George_Island.

Hopefully, these destinations spark an adventurous spin on your poolside plans. 

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.