Style > Fashion

FSU’s Newest Fashion Publication ‘Offbeat’ Is Just Getting Started

Brace yourselves, Florida State: fashion just got a whole lot more disruptive. Since being teased last spring, it became clear that FSU’s newest fashion publication was going to bring an unconventional and alternative edge that we have not yet seen anywhere else. Since the start of the fall semester, Offbeat Publications & Media has released a steady stream of eye-catching content that makes a statement through its ability to use fashion as its own storyboard and its fearlessness in breaking down barriers.

Backed up by an incredible team of stylists, models, beauticians, photographers, editors, and so much more, Offbeat is expertly led by its Co-Founders and Editors-In-Chief, Rafael Oliva and Liana Ocampo. I had a chance to speak with the two figureheads in order to pick their brains on what FSU students can expect from the incoming mania that is Offbeat.

Her Campus (HC): Just to set the scene for all of us, what exactly is Offbeat?

Rafael Oliva (RO): Offbeat is a new student-run publication and media group here at FSU. Our focus is primarily on fashion and art. Fashion in particular is often seen as superficial and trivial, partly because of the type of people that often inhabit these spaces. We’d like to change the preconceived notion that fashion spaces and subcultures are nothing more than “pretty girls wearing pretty clothes.” We understand that fashion is inherently a political tool. Just the task of undergoing garment construction qualifies some level of ingenuity, to say the least. So part of our goal with Offbeat is to highlight how extensive fashion is in what it encompasses.

HC: What was the intention behind creating Offbeat?

RO: Most of us had been a part of all of the other organizations within FSU having to do with fashion, and we simply felt that there was something missing. Something that my co-founder Liana really championed is an emphasis on community outreach, which we feel like fashion has such a unique ability to foster. We’re not just building bridges with other organizations on campus, with us doing shoots and events with various RSOs, but we’re also highlighting local businesses in the broader Tallahassee area.

HC: Overall, what is Offbeat’s mission?

RO: We’re trying to deepen the the FSU student body’s understanding of fashion and emphasize community outreach, but we also want Offbeat to become a safe place for like-minded minority creatives to engage and develop their individual skills. Fashion and art can often be saturated with perspectives that have already been accounted for with little to no room for those of minorities. This is especially true for a school like FSU which is a predominantly white institution, where minority voices can often be drowned out by the white majority. We would like for Offbeat to be an organization where everyone’s artistic zeal is seen and appreciated.

HC: What can people expect for the future of Offbeat?

Liana Ocampo (LO): Events! In early December, we will be releasing the first issue of our print magazine and celebrating with a release party. We will also be having our very first runway show next semester in collaboration with a very special organization on campus and highlighting different retailers in Tallahassee! Because this is our first semester, we want to grow as much as we can by spreading the word. We hope that these events will bring more attention to Offbeat and get people excited!

HC: How can people get involved?

LO: Early next semester, we will have a general body meeting for new members. You can follow us on Instagram for updates as well as join our Discord, which can be found in the Linktree in our Instagram bio. Our events are open to all, and you can always ask any of our directors or members for more information!

With how incredible and distinctive its content has been just in its first few months, it goes without saying that Offbeat Publications and Media is just getting started. With its dedication to working with creative-minded students as well as local Tallahassee brands, I fully believe that Offbeat will make its mark on FSU and will surely grow into something bigger. Follow Offbeat on Instagram to stay up to date with what it has to offer, and don’t be afraid to reach out and get involved with this exciting new publication!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Cheyenne Cruz is a staff writer for the FSU chapter of HerCampus. Her work involves writing for personal experiences, entertainment and pop culture, and campus life at FSU. She is a Senior at Florida State University, majoring in Humanities and minoring in Hospitality Management. She also serves as the Event Planning Coordinator for the Themed Entertainment Association at FSU. In her free time, she loves reading and video chatting with her family just to check up on her dogs. She has a love for pop culture and a passion for discovering a myriad of films and tv shows, both old and new. Any song in her playlist is easily located from a movie soundtrack, and she loves bringing her new discoveries to so many different people.