FSU Wesley Foundation’s Easterfest

It’s that time of year again! The FSU Wesley Foundation is throwing their annual celebration, Easterfest. The campus ministry has been putting on this celebration for several years now and each year seems to make things bigger and better. What is Easterfest? Easterfest is an all-day celebration that kicks off with an Easter Sunday church service at 11am and is followed by free food, games, music, and more! Although Wesley is a Methodist campus ministry they are extremely welcoming of people from all religious backgrounds.

The FSU Wesley Foundation has a strong desire to positively impact the world and make a difference. This is done through international mission trips, statewide mission trips, a local community outreach program in the Joe Louis area, and of course Easterfest. Every year, Wesley dedicates Easterfest towards a specific charity or purpose. In previous years they’ve helped raise money to support education in third world countries and have spent hours packing meals to battle hunger. So what is Easterfest’s “Arise” focused on this year? 

Have you seen any plain white flyers around campus with black mosquitos in the center?  That would be the FSU Wesley Foundation’s doing! The mosquitos are representative of this year’s Easterfest dedication to fight malaria. Malaria is a mosquito-born disease caused by a parasite. About 3.4 billion people, half the world’s population, are at risk of malaria. The FSU Wesley Foundation wants your help to #RiseAgainstMalaria which is why this year’s Easterfest is titled, “Arise.”

They’re trying to raise $7,000, which is equivalent to 1,000 mosquito nets, in order to help end malaria. One way they’ve been gathering nets to fight Malaria is actually with a simple iPhone App! The app, Charity Miles, is quite possibly one of the coolest apps around! Charity Miles allows you to choose from a list of charities and run, bike, or walk to raise money for whatever cause you choose. The more miles you do the more good you do too! Wesley has been using Charity Miles to support an organization called Nothing But Nets that provides mosquito nets to battle Malaria. Want to join Wesley’s Charity Miles team? All you have to do to start earning some nets is download the app and then join the team #fsuwesley. Our team has currently gone 2,923.084 miles for Nothing But Nets and wants to keep it going strong! Easterfest is a party with a purpose!

No, Easterfest isn’t your traditional Easter Sunday service you probably have experienced in the past or have pictured in your mind. You can wear your best pastel Easter dress or you can wear a tank top and shorts. Easter service won’t be held in a dark, old church. It will be outside on a lawn on a (hopefully) beautiful and sunny day. Afterwards, there will be tons of free food, a rocking band, slip n’ slide, games, and so much more. It’s a day of celebrating Jesus, friendship, and our ability to make a positive impact on the world. This Sunday come join the FSU Wesley Foundation for an Easter like you’ve never experienced!

When: Sunday, April 20th @ 11am

Where: The FSU Wesley Foundation

705 West Jefferson St., Tallahassee FL 32304

Cost: FREE!

Want to know more? Check them out on social media!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/647928155280920/

Twitter: @RiseAgainstMal

Instagram: @riseagainstmalaria

Her Campus at Florida State University.