FSU Marching Chiefs Are Going Garnet, Gold and Green

Courtesy: Tallahassee Democrat

Florida State University’s marching band, best known as the Marching Chiefs, has been a staple of school spirit for decades. Students have continued to be awed by their impressive halftime performances, sing along to their rendition of the school’s fight song or hear a snippet from one of their practices while walking near the stadium. The Marching Chiefs undeniably leave a memorable mark in school history with each passing year.

This year, they’ve begun taking initiatives to practice music in a much more environmentally friendly way. In lieu of around 200,000 sheets of paper per year amongst the over 400 band members, musicians will now be using their smartphones to reference sheet music. Patrick Dunnigan, one of the band’s directors, estimates that these new methods can eliminate 85-90 percent of the program’s paper consumption.

This idea comes from a development titled “eFlip” which was created by marching band members from Louisiana State University. Instead of outdated flip charts, students are now able to mount their personal smartphones to their instruments or forearm so that all their music is in one place, right in front of their faces.

Aside from the environmental benefits, the move to paperless sheet music presented on a student’s own cell phone will allow for some extra cash in the department’s pockets. While the College of Music saves on sheet music production, that money can be allocated to other more essential needs the program may have.

Patricia J. Flowers, the Dean of the College of Music discussed how the Marching Chiefs’ green initiative impacts the greater FSU community. “The Marching Chiefs’ elimination of flip charts represents the type of creativity encouraged by Florida State’s sustainable campus initiative, which calls on all of us to incorporate sustainable living practices on campus.” Flowers continued with praise for the band’s directors. “Patrick Dunnigan and David Plack have shown innovative leadership not only in charting their inspiring halftime shows but also in stewarding resources and eliminating waste. The Marching Chiefs continue to set a high standard for the garnet and gold – and green!”

With such a well-known campus organization leading the trend, the Marching Chiefs will hopefully be able to inspire others in the Florida State community to be more conscious of the environment and to do their part in making FSU’s campus as best as it can be.

Her Campus at Florida State University.