FSU Campus Celebrity: Chris Singleton

When it comes to campus celebrities, athletes are high on the list, but when you win ACC basketball defense player of the year and then go on to beat the undefeated and highest ranked college team in the country, like Chris Singleton, your name is the center of many conversations, all across the country. But the down to earth FSU junior doesn’t seem to notice all the hype. His casual and friendly demeanor is very comforting and despite the almost two feet height difference, he made me feel at ease. The “interview” began to feel more like old friends catching up than a writer asking an athlete questions. Chris has that effect on people.

Chris Singleton grew up (to be 6’ 9”!) in Dunwoody, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. He was raised with three siblings by his single mother, his role model. “She raised her four kids all alone and then went on to raise my niece and nephew too. She’s a powerful woman. I respect her and love her for everything she has done.  I’ve always looked up to her as a role model.”

Now, Chris himself has become a role model for many people, including students at FSU. “I’m just glad I can be a positive influence in someone’s life. If I can be a role model for people, that’s great. If I can go meet kids, sign autographs, and take pictures with them and inspire them, then I’m happy to do that.”

Singleton had the opportunity to learn from some of the people he looks up to over the summer. He was chosen to represent our country in the USA College team, headed by Duke Coach, Mike Krzyzewski, aka “Coach K”. “It was a great experience. I got to learn from some of the best coaches and NBA players.” He said that his favorite NBA baller to learn from was Boston Celtic, Rajon Rondo. “He was quite a leader. He was bringing everyone together; making sure everybody was in the right position. He’s quite a player.”

Ironically, FSU was the team to beat out the undefeated Duke last Wednesday. After the game, Coach K had only good things to say about Chris, and even called him “the best college basketball player in the country.” Florida State’s basketball defense has also been called the best in the country. “We always pride ourselves in defense. We’ve been in the top in the defense category for years. We may not always have the best assets when it comes to offense, but we always have our defense to fall back on.” It seems to be working.

But Chris doesn’t let his incredible stats or his unbelievable talents get to his head. When I asked him how it felt to be such a superstar, he replied, “I don’t see myself as a superstar, that’s other people.” Chris admits, though, that his college experience may differ from the average student at FSU.

Although there are certainly advantages to his talents and “celebrity,” there are downsides as well. “I think I have more responsibility than other people. I have to know what I’m doing and who I’m with and I have watch how I act around people. There are certain things I can’t do that I wish I could, but I can’t do. But that’s part of life.” And unlike other FSU students, Chris is sometimes stopped on campus and asked to take pictures and sign autographs, but he reveals it happens more often if he goes out to dinner or to a bar or club. I think it’s due to a little liquid courage. “Someone told me I’m intimidating. Maybe it’s because I’m so tall.”

This is just the beginning for the star athlete. Last year, Singleton had the opportunity to leave college and get drafted to the NBA, but he turned down the offer. “I think I definitely made the right decision. I learned so much over the summer, and here at Florida State.” Chris has always put school first and continues to do so. “I can’t say when I’ll go to the NBA. I’ll go when I feel ready. It depends on how I’m doing with my degree. I was a young kid then; I wasn’t ready for the real world, but now that I have the experience and I’ve gotten used to it, I’m ready for anything now.”

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.