FSU 2013 Homecoming Chief and Princess: Gerald Law II and Sara Saxner

I’m proud to introduce you to your 2013 Homecoming Chief and Princess! Gerald Law and Sara Saxner completely embody what it means to be a Florida State Seminole. From their strong energy and positive attitudes to their dedication to on-campus organizations and the university as a whole, Law and Saxner make perfect sense for Homecoming Chief and Princess. 

The crowning of the Homecoming Chief and Princess is one of the most longstanding traditions at Florida State University. When asked what it means to be Homecoming Chief and Princess, both students agree it’s a representation of your service to the Florida State community. “Being elected Homecoming Princess signifies ones embodiment of a true Seminole through upholding our school’s motto of strength, skill, and character,” Saxner explains. “It’s a representation of the respect and trust that your peers have for you, and it is the legacy you leave behind that serves as a testament of your work to better our university and its students,” Law says.

Aside from being outstandingly talented and involved on campus, Law and Saxner are both agreeably down to earth and genuine. They opened up to Her Campus about their experiences during the Homecoming Chief and Princess process, as well as what’s next for them and some fun facts about themselves. 

Her Campus (HC): What made you interested in running for Homecoming Chief and Princess?

Gerald Law (GL): My fraternity brothers and I were having a conversation one day and they felt that I would be a great representation of our university. After this conversation, I decided that the honor of just being on court was worth the effort.

Sara Saxner (SS): I became interested in running through people reaching out to me, emphasizing that I represent what it means to be a Florida State Seminole.

HC: What positive contributions to the campus do you think made you a prime candidate for the title?

GL: Being a music major would have to be my top contribution. As a student in a college that is most often separated from campus, I worked to bridge the gap by getting involved in student government and inviting students to our concerts and showcases. I also believe my work as president of Garnet & Gold Key Leadership Honorary Society really helped me stand out.

SS: I believe I made an ideal candidate because of what I represent and the person I am every day. Since I have arrived at Florida State University, I have trailblazed my own path. I have never compromised my authenticity for the approval of others. I realized that I invest myself in organizations where I think I can make a difference in the group or the people involved. I have worked hard and through leading by example in every aspect of my life, I do my best to ensure that every student I come into contact with feels special.

[ pagebreak ]

HC: What’s next now that you’ve won this title?

GL:: I will continue to uphold the garnet and gold by being a positive representation of our university, as well as a mentor to those following behind me. I graduate in less than a month so am excited about the next phase of my life.

SS: There is definitely great honor in being awarded the title of Homecoming Princess. The type of person I am reinforces the notion of continuing to fulfill and achieve what I was elected to do long before my experience on Homecoming Court. I will continue my service to Florida State University as Student Body Vice President.

HC: What would you say was the most fun about Homecoming Week?

GL: The parade! Seeing the joy of the kids along the parade route was such a rewarding feeling. Also, the fact that my family made it to town for the parade made my day.

SS: I really enjoyed getting to know the other members of the Homecoming Court! It was a great opportunity to be introduced and recognized by Seminoles past, present and future.

HC: Now for some fun questions, if you could meet any celebrity, who would it be?

GL: I know he’s no longer with us, but Michael Jackson because he was the greatest musician, performer, and entertainer to ever walk the earth.

SS: I would love to meet Michelle Obama. I’m not sure if many would consider Gloria Steinem to be a celebrity, but she would be on my list too.

HC: What’s one thing you can’t live without?

GL: Music. It is the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing on my mind before I sleep. Music is my passion and is an integral part of my everyday life.

SS: Coffee. Anyone who knows me knows I drink multiple cups a day.

HC: Last but not least, what’s your favorite thing about Florida State University?

GL: The fact that no matter our difference, we are all connected through our Seminole pride!

SS: The people and the belief that every student is great. I love how much we appreciate diversity, not just in demographic information, but also of experience, background, and of thought. (Fun fact: Saxner’s dad, who happens to be her best friend, is an FSU grad. She’s been a Seminole fan ever since she spent her 13th birthday in Dick Howser Stadium!)

Law and Saxner are incredibly humbled and proud to represent you as your 2013 Homecoming Chief and Princess! As some last words of advice, Law would like to encourage students to be passionate and do everything with a purpose. Saxner says, “start learning about what makes you happy, things that really speak to you, and deciding what kind of impact you want to have here on campus.”

Kayla is a senior at Florida State University. She is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Business and Hospitality Management. Apart from taking courses and writing for Her Campus, Kayla enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and discovering the best places around town. She hopes to work in the Hospitality PR industry after she graduates in May.   
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!