Halloween is usually just an excuse to go out in a different costume every night of the week (which we totally will), but this year it also marks the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s classic novel, Frankenstein! What most people don’t know about Frankenstein is that he isn’t actually the monster himself! Or is he? Frankenstein was anonymously published in 1818 by Mary Shelley and many may think that the original story is what they find in modern-day adaptations, but that’s just not the case.

Mary Shelley was the daughter of two infamous people, William Godwin and Mary Wollstonecraft. Even though her mother died shortly after giving birth to her, her father was one of the most influential philosophers of his time. Shelley grew up in a time of radicalism and excitement, while also being encouraged by her father to be well-versed in the education world. Frankenstein can be seen as a sign of the times when it was published as it followed the moral and social developments of that time. There was a shift in creating a novel that followed the moral progression of the protagonist. Shelley got the idea for Frankenstein while participating in a ghost story writing competition and the rest is history. Fun fact: did you know that the Frankenstein is the mad scientist that created the Creature that is often mistaken for Frankenstein? Nope? Well, now you do!

To celebrate the tale that inspired all of our favorite spooky season thrillers, the Keats-Shelley Association of America is hosting an event called “Frankenreads.” It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like. An event with a bunch of people reading Frankenstein, but with a twist. This event is taking place in 691 locations simultaneously all over the world. Bangladesh, Argentina, and Taiwan are just a few of the different countries that will be participating. There are eight locations in Florida alone, with Florida State University being one of them!

Students are encouraged to stop by the event and sign up to read for ten-minute intervals. This will be broadcasted around the world and definitely something you won’t want to miss! Keep reading below for more details.

This event at FSU will take place in Strozier this Wednesday on Halloween! It is basically an all-day event as it starts at 9 am and ends at 7:30 pm, so perfect time for you to start your Halloween festivities. You will find the event right after swiping your card at the entrance and keep walking straight with the info desk to your right. There will be people circling in to read Shelley’s spooky novel for ten-minute increments all day and anyone can be a reader! You can also read for more than ten minutes if you’re really feeling in the mood. Coffee and candy (breakfast of champions) will be available first-come, first-serve starting at 9 am, so don’t be late. Make sure you wear your most festive tacky Halloween sweater (are those a thing?) and spend some time with your favorite English majors. See you there!  

As a rising senior at Florida State University, Jenna loves to play Ultimate Frisbee, write, run, read, edit and everything in between. She is a current Lifestyle intern at Her Campus in Boston and is currently discovering the city girl she never knew she was. She is so open to new people and experiences and is excited to see what the world has to offer. Also, dogs. 
Lauren graduated from FSU in the spring of 2021. She is now an Associate Communications and Employee Engagement consultant at Forty1, a division of The Creative Engagement Agency. While at HCFSU, Lauren served as a content writer, content editor, managing editor, and editor in chief. HCXO!
Her Campus at Florida State University.