Around this time of the semester, I tend to find myself with a good old case of what I like to call “TV Static Brain.” Picture an old-school TV. There’s a fuzzy glow of pixels all jumbled around, jumping from place to place like the thoughts in my head. It’s agitating, hot, and itchy all at once. The first few weeks of the semester, especially after winter break, can be some of the most anxiety-inducing for students. Not only are you adjusting to new classes, but also to college life as a whole — meals, living with a roommate, clubs, and more.  

This feeling isn’t new to me, as I’m sure it’s not to many of you. I often felt this way in high school, right around when midterms hit and the new semester started. It was at this time I discovered a YouTube video from a channel called MuchelleB. She focuses a lot on life organization and time management, and her brain dump video helped to organize my racing mind.  

However, when I got to college, I was left with more responsibilities than I’d ever had. I found myself scheduling all of my own appointments, driving myself everywhere, and running all of my own errands. It quickly got overwhelming, which is why I designed the best brain dump prompts for when you feel stuck and flustered.  

What’s on your mind right now? 

Whenever I start my brain dump, I jot down whatever is most pressing to me at the moment. This will take the initial weight off your shoulders.  

What do I need to take care of for my classes? 

My favorite feature to use is the dashboard on CanvasIt lays out my assignments in an organized manner for the week. In addition, I use my Notion app to lay out my syllabi, which helps me visualize what work needs to be done. Also, consider if you need to meet with an advisor for anything related to academics.  

What do I need to do for my clubs?  

Consider if there is anything that you must do for any extracurriculars, including sororities/fraternities. Maybe you need to pay your dues, fill out a form, or prepare a presentation for the next meeting. 

What needs to be done for work? 

If you have a job, write out any tasks that need to be done in the next week. Do you need to schedule a meeting with a client? Do you need to switch shifts? Are there any items that need to be taken to the dry cleaners? 

Take inventory of your space. What can you declutter? 

This task is especially important if you’re living with a roommate. Nobody wants to live with a person who forgets to take the trash out or do the dishes. Add these tasks and put them at the top of your priority list. A clean space always makes me feel refreshed and more at peace. 

What errands do I need to run?  

While going through your space, see what items you need to buy or take to be serviced.  

What am I doing for meals for the week? 

Now is the time to go through your fridge and see what you’re going to be eating. I personally eat about half of my meals at my sorority house, and I meal prep the others. Not sure what to make? I love Jenn Lueke’s grocery list and meal prep inspiration.  

Who do I need to schedule an appointment or meeting with? 

College is the first time a lot of us are scheduling things all by ourselves. Is there a doctor you’ve been meaning to see? Do you need to get your hair or nails done? Make these calls and get them out of the way. 

Do a digital overhaul. Who do you need to respond to? 

This is also a great time to delete any old photos, apps, or subscriptions that no longer serve you. 

What family or friends do I need to call? 

Check in on the people you love! Are there any people you’ve been meaning to get in touch with or ask a question to? 

I write everything out on a large sheet of paper and cross tasks out as I accomplish them. I also find that it helps to break everything out into small, minute details. For any project, I write out the exact steps I will take to get it done. If I’m traveling, I write my packing list off to the side. 

The goal of a brain dump is to make your life feel more organized and manageable. Using these prompts, you will be better equipped for productivity and calm.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Jules Johannemann is a staff writer for Her Campus at the Florida State chapter, where she covers lifestyle, culture, and campus life. Her favorite topics to write about are mental health and time management, travel and road trips, food, and campus life as an out-of-state student. Beyond Her Campus, Jules was the editor-in-chief of her high school's literary magazine, which included student artwork, poetry, and prose. She also owns her own small business selling custom sneakers and apparel. Jules is currently a freshman at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Commercial Entrepreneurship. In her free time, Jules enjoys exploring Tallahassee and taking road trips, petting people's dogs, doing anything related to art, and listening to copious amounts of country and 2010s club music. You can probably find her at Lucky Goat or at her sorority house watching Jeopardy.