Five Black Films To Celebrate Black History Month

As a young white woman raised in a predominantly white area, my exposure to people of color growing up was limited and the media played a minimal role in educating me. There has been a sufficient level of representation of people like me in the mass media throughout my life. However, for Black people, representation for a long time has been minimal and conventional. Rarely would I see a Black man or woman playing the main character in a film or TV show, and if they were, then they were considered a tokenized character surrounded by an all-white cast.

As times have changed, however, Black movies have broken through to the mainstream media, and luckily, the cultural footprint that they have left is enormous. Over the past few years, I have absorbed powerful media that provides honest portrayals of Black lives, Black perspectives and Black culture. Black actors, directors and screenwriters have been empowered to tell Black stories, earn leading roles, and win awards while doing so. The list below presents just a few of those breakthrough empowering Black movies.

black panther (2018)

Black Panther was a clear choice for this list. It has earned its top place on this list for its groundbreaking celebration of Black heritage. Let’s not forget that this movie was the first Marvel movie to have a predominantly Black cast, an African American director and to win an Academy Award. The movie’s vibrant portrayal of the beauty of Black culture makes the two hours and 15 minutes completely worth the watch.

Get out (2017)

This movie is intense. Director Jordan Peele perfectly captures the anxieties that are often felt within the Black community. Following an interracial couple’s trip to a predominantly white suburb, this high-stakes horror movie tackles issues of racism in an unconventionally satirical way. If the thrilling plot and themes alone don’t interest you enough to give the movie a watch, perhaps the 98-percent Rotten Tomatoes score and Academy Awards that it received will.

soul (2020)

Soul is a heartwarming animated film following the life and death of a beloved jazz pianist. This is Pixar’s first film with a Black protagonist, and it displays some of the daily activities of a Black musician. For example, the movie displays an appreciation for jazz music, family bonds and well-rounded Black characters. Pixar caters to a younger audience, so while Soul is not a very intense movie, its message about enjoying life and its inclusion of Black characters to deliver that message make it worthy of a watch for people of all ages.

Moonlight (2016)

Having won an Academy Award for Best Picture, this coming-of-age drama film touched the hearts of many with its depiction of being gay in a Black community. The importance of Black identity and experience is emphasized throughout the movie. While toxic masculinity is displayed throughout the movie, it also presents scenes of love and compassion within the Black community. This movie does a great job of tackling the issues of coming to terms with one’s racial and sexual identity, making it an impactful and powerful watch for any viewer. As a bonus, the film’s director, Barry Jenkins, is a Florida State University alumnus.

The hate u give (2018)

This powerful movie follows a Black teenage girl’s struggle with balancing her race and identity as she attends a predominantly white prep school. Confronted with police brutality, racism and stereotyping, the main character is given the chance to rise as a voice of justice for her community. The passionate cry for equality from the Black characters in this film sets it apart from others and has earned it a well-deserved watch this month. 

Happy watching!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Isabella is a junior at Florida State University pursuing a dual degree in Media/Communication Studies and English (Editing, Writing, and Media). She currently serves as the Head Culture Editor of Her Campus at FSU, where some of her responsibilites include editing, overseeing, and pitching ideas for all articles categorized as Culture topics within her chapter. In the past, Isabella interned with Girls' Life Magazine, where she explored her passion for writing and creating digital content. Isabella aspires to someday work in the journalism industry. In her free time, Isabella loves to dance, listen to good music, hang out with her friends, and watch TV shows and movies!