Five Ways to Style Ugly Holiday Sweaters

It’s that time of year again, Collegiettes. The holiday season is quickly approaching and the Facebook invites are rolling in with the overwhelming majority of Ugly Sweater party themes. You begin to head to every thrift shop and you finally find your perfect ugly sweater. And if you can’t find one, don’t fret! There are hundreds of DIY’s online for an old existing sweater. But now, what will you wear with your horrible yet perfect sweater? Don’t want to blend in with everyone else at the party? Here are five different, chic ways to style an ugly sweater!

1. Metallic Leggings and Flats

The idea of a tacky sweater and metallic colors is a match made in tacky sweater heaven! The dulled colors of your tacky sweater and bright leggings will make for a great contrast. You will be sure to stand out wearing these leggings. Pair them with a solid flat shoe for even better contrast!

1. Skater Skirt and Ankle Booties

If you live in warmer climates or if the temperature permits, this will be a comfortable yet chic outfit. Skater skirts are a huge trend in today’s fashion world. Wearing your ugly sweater with a solid color skirt will make your sweater pop! If you found a shorter sweater this is a good option for you! Tuck that sweater into the skirt and you will look great! Add a pair of ankle booties and your outfit is complete!

1. Skinny Jeans and Heels

The easy yet chic idea to style an ugly sweater is skinny jeans. If the weather is too cold for a skirt or leggings, this is the choice for you. A sweater and jeans is such a simple outfit, but adding the ugliness of a holiday sweater and a pair of cute heels will guarantee you a comfortable and warm night partying.

1. Tights and Boots

If you found a sweater long enough to cover your entire bottom, this is a great way to keep warm and look chic! The contrast between a baggy sweater and tight bottoms creates a slimming illusion (not to mention it looks adorable)! Add a pair of combat boots and your ugly sweater went from drab to fab!

1. Nothing (But Shoes, Of Course)!

The beauty of finding a longer sweater is that you can use it as a dress! Large sweaters for the winter are a huge trend right now, so instead of covering up your legs, go bare! This look will be sure to get you stares. Pair it with your favorite pair of flats or pumps and this outfit is ready for the party!

Simplicity is key when styling these ridiculous sweaters. The sweater should be the center of attention! Don’t forget to add accessories like some tacky hat to match your sweater. Wearing an ugly sweater and looking fabulous is not an easy task, but with these five ideas you will be shining among the sea of ugly. Keep warm, look chic, and happy partying! 

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!