photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Five Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Semester

1. Focus on classes

This is why you’re in college, isn’t it? Everything is so much more fun when you’re focused and doing well, and having good grades will open doors for you. Everyone comes up with excuses to skip class: whether you’d rather sleep in after a night out or you want to drive to Tampa for no good reason at all, just remember that you have to actually pass your classes to graduate from FSU, and you might as well try your hardest in them! Quotes like “C’s get degrees” should be thrown out the window, and use Strozier and Dirac to your advantage. Study hard!

2. Tour Tallahassee

Anyone who attends FSU knows that campus is huge and you could spend the entire day without leaving. However, there are plenty of places in Tallahassee that you can use as a getaway. The Capitol Building has an observation deck on top, there are plenty of state and regional parks and a handful of restaurants around. Tallahassee has more than just the university, and the city is expanding at such a rapid rate that you should take advantage of it!

Courtesy: Florida State Seminoles

3. Go to Sporting Events

There always seems to be something going on on the west side of campus. Your status as an FSU student gives you access to guaranteed free entry to every sport Florida State has to offer with the exceptions of football and basketball. Check these other sports out! Soccer and softball play out of the same complex, baseball and volleyball are hard to miss, and tennis and track are super exciting! If you’re really feeling adventurous, travel off campus during cross-country or swimming season and cheer them on at their respective locations! Show up in garnet and gold and show your best school spirit!

4. Get Internships

Once you graduate college, you’re going to have to find a job so you might as well start the search as soon as you can! FSU has an excellent reputation for giving graduates jobs almost immediately and summer internships during your sophomore, junior or senior year is a great way to start! Whether your major is hospitality, business, psychology or medicine, there are internship opportunities for everyone and it’s the perfect opportunity to get your feet wet before diving into the workforce!

Courtesy: The Strong Girl Movement

5. Get Involved

Before you started college, dozens of people told you to join clubs and organizations once you’re there. Now that you’re finally at FSU, what are you waiting for? It’s seriously the most important aspect of having a fantastic college experience. Us girls can get involved in absolutely anything, from major-specific clubs to charity organizations to Greek life. Suppose you’re not good enough to make a sports team, try out club sports or intramurals! The student body at FSU is so large that no matter what your interests are, you’re almost certain to find the perfect club for you! If you don’t, you can start it and meet people that way! You’re not going to meet people by sitting in your dorm room all day or by spending nine hours a night at the library. College flies by, take advantage of it while you can and join clubs!

Katherine is a sophomore at Florida State University. She is passionate about reading, writing, sports, photography and almost anything else! Cat lover.
Her Campus at Florida State University.