Five For Fifteen: 5 Vegetarian Meals That Will Fight the Freshman Fifteen!

Being a college student isn’t easy.  There are bills to pay, classes to attend, homework to do, exams to study for, and not to mention jobs and social lives we want to maintain.  With all of this going on, it’s sometimes difficult to eat healthy.   This is where the hated “freshman fifteen” creeps up from behind that hotdog you bought in between classes from Mom and Pops (even though their lemonade is irresistible).  There are simple ways to make sure that “freshman fifteen” doesn’t haunt you.  Eating vegetarian meals is one of them.  On average, vegetarians live longer, are slimmer, and have less chance of getting cancer.  By eating vegetarian meals, you cleanse your body of pesticides that are in most meats.  Even if you don’t switch to a vegetarian diet forever, you can still make and eat these great low calorie and low fat meals in less than ten minutes without much effort.

1. Veggie Flatbread Pizza

What you need: Wheat tortilla, marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, diced green peppers, and diced onions.

What to do:

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Place the wheat tortilla on a cookie sheet.  Spread marinara sauce on the tortilla and cover the sauced tortilla with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
  • Sprinkle the tortilla with the mushrooms and diced tomatoes, green peppers, and onions.
  • Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes.
  • Take the cookie sheet out of the oven and enjoy your pizza!

*An alternative meal great for vegans: Spread hummus on pita bread, sprinkle on the listed veggies (skipping the cheese), and microwave to your preferred temperature.

2.   Black Bean Mexican Rice Bowl

What you need:  Yellow rice, 1 can of black beans, 1 green pepper, 1 onion, sour cream, and salsa.

What to do:

• Cook the yellow rice as directed on the packet.  While the yellow rice is cooking, slice the onion and the pepper into strips.
  • Use a teaspoon of olive oil to coat a frying pan.  Place the frying pan on the stove at medium heat and add the pepper and onion.  Cover and mix every few minutes for about 5-8 minutes.
  • While the pepper and onion are cooking, open the can of black beans and pour them into a pot.  Place the pot on the stove on medium heat for about ten minutes.
  • When everything’s done cooking, mix the yellow rice, onion, pepper, and black beans in a bowl.  Add sour cream and salsa for taste and enjoy!

3.   Soy Chicken Pasta With Broccoli

What you need: Whole grain rotini pasta, microwavable broccoli, Morning Star soy chicken patty, parmesan cheese, and I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter.

What to do:

• Follow directions for pasta.
  • While pasta is cooking, poke a hole in the broccoli with a fork and put in the microwave for 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
  • When the broccoli is finished, place the Morning Star chicken patty on a plate and cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds in the microwave.
  • Drain the pasta.  Pour the pasta into a bowl.  Add the broccoli (as much as your desire). 
  • Take a tablespoon of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and stir it into the pasta and broccoli.
  • Cut up the chicken patty and add it to the pasta.
  • Cover with parmesan cheese and enjoy!

4.   Veggie Pita Pocket

What you need: wheat pita pocket, feta cheese, hummus, 1 Green pepper, 1 red pepper, and one onion.

What to do:

• Slice the onion and peppers.
  • Spread the hummus in the pita pocket.
  • Fill the pocket with feta cheese, peppers, and onion
  • Enjoy either heated or cool!

5.   Pasta Salad

What you need: Wheat rotini pasta, red wine vinegar, broccoli, 1 can chick peas, 1 can sweet corn, I can sliced carrots, and 1 can diced tomatoes.

What to do:

• Cook pasta as directed.
  • Drain pasta and place in bowl.
  • Add broccoli, chick peas, sweet corn, carrots, and tomatoes. 
  • Cover with as much of red wine vinegar as you desire.  Mix.
  • Cover bowl and set in the fridge for 20 minutes or more.
  • Enjoy!

After eating these delicious vegetarian meals, you’ll look and feel great.  Next time you go to grab a hotdog from Mom and Pops or go to Denny’s All Nighter for a fatty cheeseburger, remember these meals and go the healthy route.  All Saints Café always has a vegan menu, guaranteed to satisfy your stomach in a guilt-free way.

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.