The whole world has gone through a hard time this past year with the pandemic raging and the economy suffering. The pandemic may not be over yet, but many of us find ourselves going out more recently. I know that I’m not the only one that has found myself getting dressed up to go to Target.

We have seen a rise in interest in fashion throughout the pandemic, partially because of the popularity of the app TikTok. The app has circulated many trends and for some became a form of escapism through dreamy aesthetics like cottage core and the regency trend post-Bridgerton: those corsets were everywhere. Fashion as an escape is not a new concept. The lipstick effect is defined by Investopedia as “when consumers still spend money on small indulgences during recessions, economic downturns, or when they personally have little cash.” We have larger problems to deal with, that we distract ourselves from, by purchasing cheaper goods such as accessories or clothing. We are searching for relief and joy when we are feeling down.

I know that I’m not the only one who has been getting dressed up to go anywhere nowadays. I see stylish girls strutting across FSU every day in all types of platforms, but especially boots. We are so excited to be out and seen in the world now that we want to make the most of it. I love getting dressed up because I feel that when I look put together, I feel put together. 

We have seen a rise recently in the popularity of high heels and platform shoes on both the runway and the street. I predict that recent trends of colorful and exciting prints and colors on clothing will only grow. The recent Y2K resurgence comes to mind as people dressing in over the top, bright, fun clothes.

This is not the first time that fashion has seen a boom in times of economic distress for the country. This trend goes back to the 1930s, during the Great Depression during which heel heights rose and shoes were provided in a range of colorful options. Another time of economic downturn that comes to mind is the 70s, which also was a time of civil unrest with the Civil Rights Movement going on and the Vietnam War. A key defining marker of the 70s was the fashion of the hippies. They wore loose, flowy clothing and bright colorful patterns in the spirit of their loving and positive culture. The 1970s also saw a rise in platform shoes, heels and even clogs as they became a popular style. The platform trend wasn’t just for women though, men could be seen sporting platforms as well.

I predict that the platform trend will only grow, not just on heels but on all kinds of shoes and that we will find ourselves dressing a lot more extravagant. I love the idea that out of such a dark time people are turning to fashion as a way to bring some light back in. For those interested in hearing more on the subject I suggest Moderngurlz’s video essay “How the economy affects the height of high heels on YouTube which is what first interested me in this topic!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jenna is a freshman this year at FSU. This is her first year writing for Her Campus and she is very excited to join the team!