person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Explore the World Through a Lens with Sophia Marin

Name: Sophia Marin

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Hometown: Clearwater, FL

Relationship Status: In a Relationship

Major: Studio Art

Her Campus (HC): Let’s start off easy. What is your favorite food?

Sophia Marin (SM): Hands down, I would eat a burrito every day. Every singe day. Sometimes I prefer Moes because they have the best queso on the planet. Some days I prefer Chipotle, when I’m feeling a little spicy. Also, praise guac!

HC: I can agree with that! So you are a studio art major! What first turned you on to art?

SM: I took a black and white film photography class my senior year of high school. I loved watching the process of the photos coming to life. I enjoy it way more than digital. It’s more satisfying. After that it just became something that I was really passionate about. I had never been passionate about anything before.

HC: So your focus is photography?

SM: Photography and maybe drawing. I’ve taken up an interest in it recently.

HC: That’s awesome! As far as photography goes, is there anything you want to photograph most? Any area you want to focus on?

SM: Ideally, military and war. Even though everyone I know is against it. They’re just worried about my safety.

Drawing by Sophia Marin

Drawing by Sophia Marin

HC: I would be too! But that’s incredible. What inspired that?

SM: Watching movies and documentaries and going to museums. You just want to know the story behind those photos. They aren’t pictures you can see or capture every day. Nobody can really see what it’s like otherwise. It’s a way to get the truth out and really affect people’s emotions. I’m really interested in taking my photography oversees and experiencing different cultures in general.

HC: Have you gotten to travel and photograph abroad yet?

SM: I’ve been to Brazil and London. But I haven’t been able to get in touch with the people as much as I’d like too. Except in Jericoacoara! I was taking pictures of kids from the island. One of the little girls I took a picture of didn’t speak my language at all, but she was so intrigued by the camera. She came right up to me and just looked at me to take her picture. I let her play around with the camera. It was such a cool moment. We didn’t even need to speak the same language. I hope to experience more of that.

Photography by Sophia Marin

HC: That’s incredible! Do you have any more chances to do anything like that again soon?

SM: Actually, this summer I am hoping to go to Uganda through the Global Scholars Program here at FSU!

HC: That sounds cool, what exactly does the program do?

SM: We volunteer abroad with local organizations. I want to go to the Elgon Youth Development Center. They house displaced youth. When the LRA took over, so many families were separated. People are still finding each other today. I hope to help the kids by teaching art classes. Hopefully I’ll be able to take pictures and make a creative project with my work. I want to immerse myself in the culture, learn their stories, and share them through my photographs.

HC: That all sounds do amazing. I would kill for that opportunity! Then what’s the plan? Do you know what you’re doing after school?

SM: I’d love to get my own business started. I’ll probably work as a second shooter with a photographer I’ve worked with before. Learn the ropes some more.

HC: Are you sticking around Tally?

SM: No way. Once I get on my feet I’ll move out of Florida. I want to experience places before I decide where to settle. I know after this summer I will want to volunteer in other places. So that’s the plan so far. Who really knows what they want to do with their lives?

More of Sophia’s Art:

Morgan is currently a junior in the Editing, Writing, and Media program. Her interests include Kraft macaroni and cheese, cats, overpriced candles, Icelandic ambient music, tattoos, cherry coke, and short lists. Her true aspiration is to become an international pop sensation, but, due to her complete lack of musical ability, a life as a professional writer will have to do.
Her Campus at Florida State University.