The Evolution of the College Freshman

Freshman year of college is a big change for everyone. This year entails many new experiences and is over before you know it.

1. Finally Free

The day has come. You are all moved into your dorm and you hug your mom goodbye as she cries onto your shoulder. All decisions are finally yours; whether you go out, stay in, study or watch Netflix. Life on your own is beginning and it never felt so good, sort of.

Courtesy: Giphy

2. Syllabus Week

The first week of school has arrived. You walk into your first lecture hall with hundreds of other students and sit alone awkwardly because, well, you’re new and don’t know anyone. Once you get home, you and your roommate get to know each other a little better and decide to go out and experience college nightlife. Then you repeat this everyday because you quickly realize that syllabus week is also known as party week. By the end of it…

Courtesy: Giphy

3. Football Season

The first home game is here. You can finally experience an FSU game day as a fellow Nole. The experience is unlike any other. Everywhere you go you see tents set up and hear your friends telling you about how they woke up at 6 a.m. to start tailgating. Then, you walk towards the stadium and up the steps that reveal the incredible sight that is 80,000 people cheering. The energy is electric, and you can’t help but have a grin from ear to ear. We make our first touchdown and you look to see a sea of arms doing the chop as they coon the warchant.

Courtesy: Giphy

4. Finals

During this week you realize that coffee is your best friend. You never previously understood why the Strozier was open 24 hours, because why would someone be there at 3 a.m. right? Wrong. You shower once (if you’re lucky) and live off of delivery food that goes straight to the library. You also learn how to spot an empty chair 50 feet away and speed walk to get there before someone else snatches your spot.

Courtesy: Giphy

5. Winter Break

Finals are finished and your first semester of college is officially over. You can’t wait to get home and see your parents and friends. You can finally relax, and you love that you get an entire month off (why isn’t this a thing in high school). But you soon get bored and miss what you consider your new home- Tallahassee.

Courtesy: Giphy

6. Syllabus Week Part 2

This time around you’re more “cultured” about Tallahassee nightlife and know exactly how to make the most of this week. With no worries about pending papers or tests, you fully take advantage of your care-free week. You reunite with all of your friends and hit the town for a good time.

Courtesy: Giphy

7. Spring Break

Another new college experience that makes for crazy memories. Whether you went to PCB or the Keys, you probably did at least one thing that was illegal. But you don’t care, you’re in college which basically means spring break is a free pass.

Courtesy: Giphy

8. Final Goodbyes

And in the blink of an eye it’s over. The first year of living on your own and becoming an adult is suddenly complete. You look back on all of the incredible experiences you had at FSU and realize how much you have grown. You pack up your dorm and, as excited as you are to never have to wear shower shoes again, you feel a sense of nostalgia. You’re going to miss this little room that you cooked in, slept in and stumbled home in at two in the morning.

Courtesy: Giphy

Hey my name is Taylor! In my free time I like reading/watching videos about anything beauty related. I have way more lipstick than a girl could ever need, but I will probably buy more. I'm a documentary addict and love learning about new things.
Her Campus at Florida State University.