Everything You Need To Know Before Watching ‘The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes’

The Hunger Games was one of the first major book series that I read. My mom had bought the first book to read before the movie came out and she passed it on to me to read after she finished it. I was in the fifth grade and became instantly obsessed. I was one of those fangirls going to premiere nights and buying merchandise at Hot Topic. I even dressed up as Katniss Everdeen for a school dress-up day, sporting a Mockingjay pin and carrying a fake bow and arrow (I was dedicated). 

I had been longing for new books in the series for years, but never thought one would actually happen. Suzanne Collins must have heard my begging, however, because, in 2020, she gave us The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I ran to my local Walmart in the middle of the pandemic to get the book. Nothing was going to stop me from returning to my favorite imaginary world. Once the book was in my hands, I consumed it in less than three days. I had no expectations going into the book but by the time I was finished, it became one of my favorites. 

This fantastic book has been adapted into a movie which will be released in theaters on Nov. 17. I’m aware that not everyone is as major a Hunger Games fan as I am and that not everyone who wants to see the movie has read the book beforehand, so I figured I would create a movie-watching guide! There’s not a lot you need to know about the book before seeing the movie, but these few points can help you to know what to expect. 

Our leads: Lucy Gray Baird and Coriolanus Snow

If you know anything about the Hunger Games series, then you might recognize one of these names. But for those that don’t know, Coriolanus Snow is the President of Panem in the trilogy and the primary antagonist. In Songbirds and Snakes, however, Snow is the main protagonist. Readers experience the entire novel from Snow’s 18-year-old perspective, following him as he attends school in the Capitol and participates in the Hunger Games as a mentor. The book is set at the time of the 10th annual Hunger Games, which are the first games in which tributes were given a mentor. Snow’s mentee and tribute is a girl from District 12 named Lucy Gray Baird. 

Lucy Gray is the 16-year-old female tribute from District 12. She becomes known as a performer for her singing and her bright rainbow ruffle dress. Lucy Gray quickly becomes a star in the eyes of the Capitol. I don’t want to give too much away for those who haven’t read the book but, in my opinion, she is the more important main character in this story. Through Lucy Gray, we are able to find familiarity in everything we know and love from the original trilogy. Katniss might be the protagonist we know, but Lucy Gray is the protagonist that paved the way. 

it’s a prequel

This story takes place 64 years before the events of the first book. None of the characters that we know and love are present (unless you count Snow, which I don’t). The format of the games doesn’t look exactly the same as what Katniss experiences either. As these are only the 10th annual Hunger Games, the story takes place only 10 years removed from the war that led to their creation. The landscape of Panem is also very different, and that’s part of what makes this story so amazing. 

Collins was able to create a book that is its own new story while also connecting it to the story we know. We see moments that foreshadow what takes place in the original series. We see characters connected to those of the original trilogy. The whole point of the novel is to show how Snow becomes the person that he is in the original series. 

I don’t want to spoil the movie for you so I won’t say any more about the plot, but just know it’s nothing like you would expect. But if you are a fan of the original trilogy, then you will undoubtedly love it. 

snow is not your friend

Even though we’re experiencing the events of Songbirds and Snakes from his perspective, this man is not our friend. Being the narrator and protagonist of the story doesn’t make you a good guy. When you watch this movie, you have to remember what happens in the original trilogy. Snow wants nothing except power. He is trying to protect himself and no one else. He doesn’t care about what he has to do or who it hurts; he just wants power. Remember that. Don’t let Tom Blyth’s cute face distract you. 

this is not a romance

On a similar note, it needs to be said that this is not a romance. You are going to want this to be a romance but just know, it’s not. That’s all I’ll say about that. 

Now go off and experience The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes movie for yourself! It is officially out in theaters on Nov. 17. If you would like to read the book before you watch it, you can probably find a copy at any of your favorite places to buy books.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

Peyton is a senior double majoring in Communications and Editing, Writing, Media. She is a member of the Majorette Line with the Marching Chiefs and she hopes to one day be a sports reporter.