Everything You Need to Know About FSU’s Funded Gap Year

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Travel Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from the best places you need to roadtrip to before you graduate to the top eats across the pond (that’s London town, for those of you who haven’t brushed up on your British). We promise we’ll leave you wanderlusting for more. After all, summer vacation is just a few weeks away! 

After high school comes college, right? Wrong! Florida State University now offers incoming freshmen students the option to defer their enrollment in order to take a year off and find themselves within the world through volunteering, interning or working. Who wouldn’t want this amazing experience? Plus, this option is now even available for students who couldn’t originally afford it seeing as how scholarships are also readily available.

Courtesy: Gapyear.com

What exactly is a gap year?

Also known as a “bridge year,” the technical definition for this term is an experiential semester or year typically taken between high school and college in order to increase self-awareness, learn about different cultural perspectives and experiment with future possible careers. 

Why should you take a gap year?

The reasons on why you should take a gap year are endless, but an example of some would be: the possible language immersion you would be diving into, the ability to travel and experience the world, you’ll be a professional at adapting to new places and situations, so college should be an easy transition when the time comes, it not only builds your resume, but also your character, and of course, the unlimited memories you’re guaranteed to collect along the way.

If you want a reason that your parents would appreciate, you could always tell them that all Ivy League Universities in the United States endorse gap years, and that recent research shows that it significantly enhances a student’s growth in their personal, professional and educational life. Let’s see them say no to that!

How can I be approved by FSU to take a gap year?

The application for this deferment of enrollment is opened to high school seniors during December and can be submitted all the way up to May 1. In this application, you will be providing a brief description of your plans and how they will coincide with your educational goals.

How will I be able to afford it?

Florida State is the second university to offer financial aid to students wanting to take a gap year. Students who apply for this aid assistance will be considered for a scholarship worth up to $5,000. It is also highly recommended that students research and apply for other scholarships in order for this experience to not come out-of-pocket. If you are interested in some websites to look into for this, please click here.

Would taking a gap year effect your college plans at FSU?

The answer is no, not at all! If you apply for a gap year, you’re just deferring your enrollment for a year. This means that everything referring to your college education will be the same; you as a student will just be a year older when you enter your freshman year of college.

What are some helpful tips for the gap year experience?

One helpful tip to keep in mind is that there is no such thing as too much research! Reach out to people who have done a gap year and ask them what they would have done differently to improve their experience. Also, make sure to use your time beforehand wisely to plan out your stay and raise your funds efficiently. Once you have collected your needed funds, budgeting better be in your vocabulary; you want to have an amazing time but not enough to go into debt. Last but not least, don’t forget to enjoy yourself!

Tara Lawson-Corley is a Florida State University graduate. She majored in Retail Merchandising & Product Development with the goal of someday working for a fitness driven retail company. Hopefully later on she will be able to own her own successful fitness boutique or at least that's the dream. Tara enjoys the occasional Netflix binge, reading numerous fashion magazines, and finding new and exciting ways to workout.
Her Campus at Florida State University.