Elyssa Ronik: Embracing Her Passion for Israel and Travel

Name: Elyssa Ronik

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science and International Affairs

Hometown: Coral Springs, FL

Courtesy: Elyssa Ronik

Her Campus (HC): Tell me about some of your campus involvements.

Elyssa Ronik (ER): Currently, I serve as the Social Action Chair and Historian for Hillel, the Campus Liaison for NolePAC and the Communications Vice President for Noles for Israel. It’s definitely a lot, but I love being busy!

HC: That is quite a lot! For those who may be unfamiliar with Hillel, could you please provide our readers with a brief overview of this organization?

ER: Hillel is essentially a home for Jewish students on Florida State’s campus. About 10 percent of FSU is Jewish so we want to make sure those students (and students who are not Jewish but are interested) have a place where they can.

HC: What are some of your responsibilities as Hillel’s Social Action Chair and Historian?

ER: As Social Action Chair, I am in charge of the planning and execution all of the events we put on that are community service-based. This includes a wide range of programming. Some of my favorites are Challah for Hunger – a new program we’re starting where we bake delicious loaves of bread and will be selling with the proceeds being donated to a local food bank – and Matzah Ball Soup Express – a program where students make matzah ball soup that is kept at Hillel and if a Jewish student is sick they can call the building and ask for soup and we will deliver it to them. Additionally, I serve as the Team Captain for our Dance Marathon team, and I help to oversee our Relay for Life team. As Historian, I basically make sure everything we do at Hillel is documented and I work with out Communications Vice President to make sure we have lots of photos of events.

HC: What has been your fondest memory at Hillel?

ER: Probably all of Jewish Appreciation Week last year. This was one of my first larger events that I helped to put on. During the last week of February this past year, we had a week of events put on by Hillel basically to incline people to get involved with Hillel and celebrate Judaism. We had a day of community service programs, an Israeli trivia night, a Jewish cooking event (always SO great and delicious), a huge Shabbat dinner and ultimately ended the week with a carnival celebrating the Jewish holiday of Purim on Union Green. It was a great feeling to see something the Leadership Board put so much effort into come to life.

HC: Tell me more about NolePAC and Noles for Israel!

ER: NolePAC and Noles for Israel are two organizations on campus that sometimes work in tandem. NolePAC is a political group on campus that seeks to make sure that the US-Israel relationship is strong. In NolePAC, we work to form relationships with student leaders and different organizations on campus as well as political leaders in the community such as Congresswoman Gwen Graham, Senator Marco Rubio and Senator Bill Nelson. We do this because we believe Israel should be an important topic to everyone. Even though it’s a country halfway across the world that’s the size of New Jersey, its values are really similar to those of America, and the things that come out of Israel technologically, medically and democratically are truly incredible. On the other side of that, Noles for Israel does more cultural programming about Israel on campus. So if you’re a fan of Israel and want to meet other people that are too, NFI is the organization for you. We put on events such as Hookah Nights, Candyland with Israeli candy and games and Bedouin Night (which is happening on November 17th at U Club at 7 p.m.!)

HC: What led you to join each of these organizations?

ER: Israel has always been important to me. I grew up learning about it being my second home and a home to all Jews throughout the world. When I visited for the first time in high school, I knew it was something that I would really be dedicated to forever. Setting aside my emotional connection to Israel, I know how important it is for the United States to have such an ally as Israel in the Middle East, and believe others should understand this as well – this is why I am apart of NolePAC.

HC: Do you have any advice for fellow students who may be seeking a leadership role?

ER: Put yourself out there. My freshman year I was a bit nervous to join in on things – what if I didn’t know anyone at the event? What if people don’t like me? But really as cliché as it sounds, you’re your own worst enemy, and you just have to try new things and not be afraid to get involved. Find something you’re really passionate about and just dive into it. If you feel strongly about something and you dedicate yourself to that, not only will people appreciate it, but they might even get inspired by it too.

HC: What three words would you use to describe yourself?

ER: Passionate, optimistic and driven.

HC: Aside from your campus involvements, what do you enjoy doing most in your spare time?

ER: Spare time is definitely hard to come by, but when it happens I love to travel. During the past two summers, I staffed a teen tour (surprise – for Jewish teenagers!!) in which I traveled across the country for six and a half weeks. I also went on this same trip when I was in high school. I loved what I got out of it, and wanted to be able to help give that same experience to the next generation of high schoolers. It’s quite literally living the dream – getting paid to travel the country and mentor teens. I love it.

HC: What is something on your bucket list that you are eager to accomplish?

ER: Going back to traveling, I’ve been to 42 out of 50 states, so if anyone wants to plan a trip to Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri or North Dakota, I would love to complete the USA sweep!

HC: Who or what would you say inspires you on a daily basis?

ER: Definitely the high schoolers I work with. Each one of them has such an incredible soul that has impacted my life so dearly. Everyday I try to make sure that whatever it is I’m doing, at the same time I’m being a positive role model for them.

HC: What TV show(s) do you find yourself binge-watching?

ER: Oh man. I’m a big fan of all things Shonda Rhimes so Grey’s AnatomyScandal and How To Get Away With Murder are some favorites. House of Cards, Parks and Rec30 Rock and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt are also incredible. It’s hard to find time to sleep as it is, but then add Netflix into the equation… it becomes nearly impossible.

HC: Tell us a fun fact about yourself!

ER: You probably have never met someone as obsessed with Beyonce as I am. You may think you have, but that’s untrue. 

Jordana is a recent graduate of The Florida State University with a Bachelor of Science in public relations. She aspires to work in public relations and digital media in New York City. She is well-versed in pop culture, social media management, press release writing and content creation. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, Jordana enjoys writing, networking and spending time outdoors. On most days, you can find her researching industry trends, Tweeting and scavenging the internet for new music, ODESZA and Beyonce tunes to be specific. Stay in tune with her daily whereabouts via Twitter: @JordanaJudson.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.