Last weekend at the MTV’s 40th annual Video Music Awards, UFC fighter Conor McGregor got into an altercation with the VMAs performer, Machine Gun Kelly. In some photos that were captured of the incident, McGregor is seen lunging and throwing a fist at MGK. A video was also taken of McGregor being escorted away by security, but only after throwing his drink in the star’s direction. 

Currently, the two public figures have not clearly stated what exactly started the fight. One source states McGregor walked up to Kelly to say hello and was instead greeted by MGKs security pushing him away from Kelly. Another source explained that McGregor was asking for a photograph with the singer. MGK allegedly escalated the situation by shoving McGregor and causing his drink to spill after denying him a photo. After which, McGregor threw his drink at MGK and his date, Meghan Fox in response.

However, McGregor’s spokesperson, Karen Kessler, denied he ever asked for a photo with Kelly. She stated “Conor McGregor did not ask anyone for a picture, nor did he instigate this incident… He does not know Machine Gun Kelly, outside of the fact that he attended Conor’s fight this past July.” McGregor backed Kessler’s statement by emphasizing he does not know MGK. Regarding his attitude towards the singer, he explained “Nothing happened with me… I only fight real fighters. People that actually fight. I certainly don’t fight little Vanilla Ice white rappers. I don’t even know the guy, don’t know anything about him except that he’s with Megan Fox.” When he was leaving his hotel in New York City, he was again asked about the incident in which he responded that he was just happy to be at the VMA’s and there is “no beef” between him and MGK. He also emphasized how MGK is invited to his next UFC fight due to there being no issue between the two. 

Machine Gun Kelly was also asked about the incident during a red-carpet interview with Variety but did not reply to the question. Instead of giving a statement, he faked laughed, hit the microphone and then walked away from the interviewer. Meghan Fox stated “We’re not allowed to talk about it,” as MGK pulled her away in a speedy exit. 

The incident was not the only drama MGK was involved in Sunday night. He explained on Late Night With Seth Meyers the following night how there could be a documentary made about the drama behind the scenes at the VMA’s. The star was originally planned to give a performance early on during the event, but his performance was delayed. Eyewitnesses state that Machine Gun Kelly was setting up to perform when he suddenly ran off stage to talk to his co-performer, Travis Barker. One source states, “He was throwing elbows and seemed very upset before running backstage. The crew came and rolled off MGK’s grave and Travis’ huge drum off the stage.” Both him and Barker ended up performing at the end of the night where MGK was seen smashing his guitar on stage. When asked if destroying the guitar was planned, he implied he did it in response out of something that happened earlier in the night. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Olivia Moreland is currently studying Psychology and Anthropology at Florida State University. In her spare time, you can find her painting, hiking, and riding horses. She also enjoys photography and cooking delicious vegetarian meals.