Donald Trump Will Not Be My President

*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU 

Donald Trump will not be my president:

Because I am a woman. I have worth beyond my aesthetics. Women are not objects. I have reproductive organs that are MINE. It’s unfortunate enough that one of the most important decisions I can make in my life is at the mercy of my country’s legislation, let alone a presidential candidate who has shown little respect for women and their rights over the last few years. I see past the charade that is his presidential campaign. Quite frankly, I’m just disgusted at this point.

Because I believe in equality. The existence of our citizens needs to start being seen beyond skin colors. A person’s heritage or religion shouldn’t be cause to question their allegiance to our nation. Basic human rights should not be dictated by the gender of our soulmates because love is love. Furthermore, as a candidate for President of the United States of America, citizens of our country should not be irrelevant to you until you can exploit them for media coverage.

Because I understand common decency. Trump has gone on record to insult almost every other GOP candidate as well as many democratic candidates. He does not discuss or debate political stances and plans, but rather pokes fun at the candidates as people, like a bully from a bad afterschool TV special. Only cowards hide behind insults and the daggers of their words. Sticks and stones break bones, but words cripple the mind. When people choose to see the negativity in the world instead of the abundance of positivity and growth, we are left with pessimism and faulty perceptions. It’s hard to watch Donald Trump speak and not draw negativity because the foundation of his approach is cruelty towards others. There is nothing decent or trustworthy about the rapport Trump conducts. On September 21st, Trump tweeted a Politico Magazine article about a competitor which portrayed her in a negative light. A mere three days later, Trump brushed Politico off as “dishonest” after they reported his decline in poll numbers. So when YOU’RE being portrayed as less than ideal, it’s no fun anymore? Insulting people does not get you ahead, it does not make you look good, and it does not make you better than them. I cannot imagine this person representing the free world in international affairs. America is a great place, and it should only get better in the future. America doesn’t need his bad vibes.

Courtesy: Twitter

Because my president should represent the people. In his September 25th speech to the Valued Voter Summit, Trump stated, “I am not politically correct, and I think that’s a great thing.” No, Mr. Trump, it is a disgrace. Donald Trump does not talk about the issues. He does not tell us where he stands. He tells us his opinions – opinions about everything other than politics. He talks about people’s looks, his perception of their intelligence, and his allegiance to himself. He does not represent the people. Tuesday on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, he talked about owing nothing to no one because he funds his own campaign. You’re wrong, Mr. Trump. If you plan on being president you owe the American people a lot more than your xenophobic, racist, and unintelligible comments.   

America needs and deserves a president who will find common ground for our people. We need someone who will actually examine the issues and is not afraid to work across the aisle. I do not see compassionate leadership. I don’t see passion or conviction to represent the American population. I cannot fathom a world where Donald Trump is anything more than a bully. It is virtually impossible to please every American voter, and I get that. What is not so difficult is to have some integrity and dignity. It is not hard to avoid making statements that directly insult, belittle, and degrade a whole demographic.

Courtesy: GettyImages | SEAN RAYFORD

I am a firm believer in the phrase “what you permit, you promote.” When you spew hate such as calling the Mexican population in the U.S. rapists, or allow others to make false remarks like saying our current president is a Muslim, you promote a following with a doctrine based on and promoting lies. This is not positive representation of America or acceptable behavior for a president-to-be. Donald Trump is not speaking to all Americans. He is speaking to an unfortunate population in our country – a population of naïve, uninformed voters who chose to listen to who yells the loudest, instead of doing their homework and reviewing the facts that exist in reality. Mr. Trump is here to win a race, not to be our president or represent our great nation.

Donald Trump is the frontrunner for the GOP candidacy. He is drawing huge crowds without stating a single, concrete plan to better our country, and that’s a problem. This election is not being taken seriously – it’s become about name recognition and who is putting on a show. It’s our time to stand up and exercise our amazing rights to have our voices heard, to access knowledge and a free press, and make informed decisions about the future of our nation.

Donald Trump will not be my president because being President of the United States is not just a game and America is not some lackluster company that can be bought. 

Deanna Lopez is a senior at Florida State University double majoring in Entrepreneurship and Retail Management/Marketing. Upon graduation, she's hitting the big ol' fashion industry to work in management and allocation. She enjoys writing about music, politics, fashion industry trends, and cooking. When she's not busy writing or doing school work, she's DJing at FSU's student-run radio station V89 where's she's also the Director of Continuity.
Her Campus at Florida State University.