DIY Spring-Cleaning: With Help from the Seventies

Spring-cleaning is a time of reorganizing and regeneration, to throw out those old clothes, and get rid of any knick-knacks you find cluttering your home. However, this year, focus on something different: D.I.Y. recycling. What exactly is this? The idea is to take items which you no longer use, and recreate and remediate them to fit the upcoming Spring/Summer season.  This way, you can save money when shopping, as well as hold on to those sacred items you just can’t get rid of no matter how hard you try.

The seventies was a decade to remember for its scandalous and flamboyant attitude. Fashion was inspired by elements of Studio 54, Donna Summers, and, of course, experimental progressive musicians like Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, both of whom embodied elements of the hippie generation. A popular trend in the 70’s was the vest. The vest is a major part of the Spring/Summer 2011 style forecast. It’s an accent piece that can add just the right amount of pizzazz you’re looking for. It’s also easy to create! If there is an old jacket you no longer wear (jean, suede, corduroy etc.) cut the sleeves off (you could trim the bottom, too)! If you want to give it a bit more accent, you can easily add decoration with creating fringes on the bottom, or even adding beads or jewels to give it a retro-sophisticated look.

Another 70s inspired look, is the bohemian headband. If you have a pair of old tights or nylons that have rips in them, you can use these to create a simply fabulous headband. One way to embellish your headband is to buy large stones from the jewelry department of an art store and lace the nylon through the holes. This will give any outfit a classy and unique look! You can also do something as simple as braiding the nylon together.

Another Spring/Summer trend, according to www.fashionsing.com, is the Punk look.  Punk also originated in the 70’s with bands like The Ramones, The Clash, and Blondie, who all sported shaggy hair and ripped up jeans. To add a punk-esque element to old clothes, go ahead and add some rips. Ripped fishnets with boots can add attitude to any outfit. You could even layer your ripped tights, for more color and depth. Also, if you have an old pair of pants, jacket, or purse, you can re-create your look with the simple purchase of spike-stud push-ins. These little babies are easy to work with and will definitely give you the image you’re going for. All the while, you will be ahead of the trend!

Remember not only to create sexy and fun items with old materials, but also make sure to donate whatever you don’t use or wear to charities like Good Will and Salvation Army!

Photo Sources:
Punk Look: www.fashionsing.comvia Balmaine SS11
Lady Gaga Photo www.denimology.com
Fergie Photo www.944.com
Model www.freepeopl.com
Miley Cyrus photo: www.denimblog.com

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.