DIY Holiday Gifts Your Parents Will Love

There is nothing I love more than the holiday season and gift-giving, but it can get hectic and expensive trying to buy gifts for every person in your life. Everyone knows parents are the most difficult to shop for. Every year I ask, “What do you want for Christmas?” and every year I get the same response: “I don’t want anything except peace and happiness.” While that’s a great idea in theory, I can’t exactly buy that at Target, so I’ve learned to get creative. DIY Christmas presents are perfect because you’re saving money, and your parents will appreciate it more than anything you could ever buy at the store. 

finger painting

While it may seem childish, finger painting is the perfect easy and fun way to make your parents a holiday card or piece of art. The number of designs you can make are endless. All you need is paint, paper, and a few markers to make your masterpiece come to life. You can make this gift sentimental by creating a finger painting of your family or funny by creating a Yoda from your footprint.

state outline with hearts

Like a lot of kids, I moved away from home for college, and this next gift is perfect for anyone else who did. You start with a cutout of your state; you can print it out or cut it out of patterned paper. If your hometown is in a different state, you’ll also need a cutout of that state. Now using a sticker or marker, place a heart on your college town and another on your hometown. Attach the state outlines to another piece of paper and using a writing utensil connect the two hearts. To tie it all together add “I love you from here to there” across the top. Now you have a homemade gift that’s guaranteed to make any parent cry. 

pet picture

For any pet parents looking to make their parents laugh, this next gift is perfect for you. Using Photoshop, or another similar app, edit a picture of a blank ultrasound to include your pet child. If your editing skills are as bad as mine you could always use a premade image, there are tons of them circulating the internet. Print the image and put it in a “World’s Best Grandma/Grandpa” frame for an added touch. The look on their face will be priceless. 

movie buff basket

If you love to watch movies with your parents, or they are movie buffs themselves, they’ll love this next gift. In a plastic popcorn bucket or basket add their favorite candy, popcorn, a drink, and any other movie-watching staples. You could include a physical movie copy, but nowadays everyone has Netflix. 

These gifts can be modified for anyone (not just parents) at any price range and any holiday. Even if you aren’t the most amazing artist, your parents will love anything you make. After all, it’s the thought that counts. I hope these ideas help you tap into your creativity and spirit this holiday!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

Kayleen Jenkins is a Staff Writer for the Her Campus at Florida State chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Kayleen manages the social media content for a running events company, Relevant Running. She is currently a junior at Florida State University majoring in Biology with a minor in Chemistry on a Pre-PA track. In her free time, Kayleen enjoys cooking, painting, and playing with her cat, Nala. She loves to spend time in nature and is a huge adrenaline junkie. She is a Friends expert and can proudly quote the series.